Using Schedules and Layout Effeciency Questions

DRyeHD

I'm looking for input on how to best use schedules in my .pln file and on my layout pages.  Per my screenshots, I have created several note schedules.  They are on separate CAD Details in my .pln template.  I have copied and pasted them to my .pln for reference.

I try to put the applicable schedule on the layout page that it corresponds to so tradesmen don't have to reference just one notes page.  The preliminary note schedule is used just for preliminary work; likewise, the roof notes on the roof plan layout page, site notes on the site plan layout page, and remodel notes on remodel layout page.  The floor plan layout page usually contains the construction, plumbing, HVAC, cabinet, and trim note schedules.

Is there a way to place the note schedules on the applicable pages of my layout template?  This would eliminate opening each CAD Detail and sending it to a layout page each time I work on a new layout for a specific plan.

If there is not a way to have the note schedules on my layout template pages (before I save it as a specific customer layout), is there a more efficient way than what I am currently doing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Template Schedules.png

Template Schedules 2.png

24 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

I'm looking for input on how to best use schedules in my .pln file and on my layout pages.  Per my screenshots, I have created several note schedules.  They are on separate CAD Details in my .pln template.  I have copied and pasted them to my .pln for reference.

I try to put the applicable schedule on the layout page that it corresponds to so tradesmen don't have to reference just one notes page.  The preliminary note schedule is used just for preliminary work; likewise, the roof notes on the roof plan layout page, site notes on the site plan layout page, and remodel notes on remodel layout page.  The floor plan layout page usually contains the construction, plumbing, HVAC, cabinet, and trim note schedules.

Is there a way to place the note schedules on the applicable pages of my layout template?  This would eliminate opening each CAD Detail and sending it to a layout page each time I work on a new layout for a specific plan.

If there is not a way to have the note schedules on my layout template pages (before I save it as a specific customer layout), is there a more efficient way than what I am currently doing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Template Schedules.png

Template Schedules 2.png

Maybe these pointers will help a litle:

Have a cad detail for each note type saved in your template .plan file.  Send it to your template .layout file.  Have all the views sent to layout and just relink these views (can be done with Tools>Layout>Referenced Plan Files all at once.)  In the schedule you can set the name of the schedule as well as the note types that will report to that particular schedule so you don't have the 1,1, 2,23, etc. of a doubled schedule.  So you could have a Preliminary note schedule, a Framing Note schedule, electrical note schedule, etc.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:23 AM, rgardner said:

Maybe these pointers will help a litle:

Have a cad detail for each note type saved in your template .plan file.  Send it to your template .layout file.  Have all the views sent to layout and just relink these views (can be done with Tools>Layout>Referenced Plan Files all at once.)  In the schedule you can set the name of the schedule as well as the note types that will report to that particular schedule so you don't have the 1,1, 2,23, etc. of a doubled schedule.  So you could have a Preliminary note schedule, a Framing Note schedule, electrical note schedule, etc.

@rgardner, thanks for the pointers.  I followed them and tried it out.  I've attached a screenshot of how I set up the floor plan layout page where I try to fit most of the note schedules.  I've placed most of the schedules off the page so I can move and adjust them once I send the floor plan to the page (I've not taken the schedules off my .pln template yet, hence the double numbers).

I like the way its set up so I can just relink the schedules.  As I have it now, I would have to zoom out and look at the applicable schedule as I'm adding notes.  It would be nice to have a consolidated CAD Detail to view while I am adding notes, but this would create the double number situation again.  What is the best way to view the schedules as I am adding notes to the plan?  

Layout Template.png

14 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

It would be nice to have a consolidated CAD Detail to view while I am adding notes

Why not have all your Notes on one CAD Detail page in the plan? You'll effectively be sending the same view to each page, just cropped to show the  appropriate schedule.

9 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Why not have all your Notes on one CAD Detail page in the plan? You'll effectively be sending the same view to each page, just cropped to show the  appropriate schedule.

@TeaTime I've tried that.  Not every plan has the same number of notes in any specific schedule.  It becomes a problem in laying out the consolidated CAD Detail page so I can crop each one.  If a schedule grows over its alloted space on the consolidated page, I've had to move other schedules to make room for the increased size.  If you have a way of arranging them so this doesn't happen, I'd like to hear about it.

2 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

If you have a way of arranging them so this doesn't happen, I'd like to hear about it.

Sadly there's no great way simply because Schedules always naturally build downward, so if you stack them on top of one another they'll eventually overrun eachother. Laying them out horizontally is kind of the only answer there, and thankfully they adhere to their set Width so whatever notes you eventually add will only grow them downward, so whatever Layout Boxes you have setup will be good width-wise. Of course depending on how many schedules you have that doesn't make viewing them very easy, but it does guarantee they won't turn into a mess.

And since you're sending one schedule per page, you can Send to Layout a big long tall strip of the CAD detail page with a single scheduled at the very top and save that in your template so that when the schedules fill out, it should just all show naturally.

Using Ryan's tip of relinking, you should be able to effectively pre-send all your notes onto whatever appropriate page and once the layout is linked to the plan, they should just fill in.

The only thing this can't address is if you want a Note Schedule on the bottom of a layout page, you'll just have to manually adjust those as they grow, no way around that.

22 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

...send to Layout a big long tall strip of the CAD detail page with a single scheduled at the very top and save that in your template so that when the schedules fill out, it should just all show naturally.

@TeaTime I may try all the schedules on one CAD Detail page (in a horizontal row) now that I have them formatted the same width.  I guess it depends on how you want them to display on your layout page.  Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 1