Sloped wall help

zachrhcks

Go to solution Solved by SNestor,

I will start by saying I don’t have much experience in the program. I mainly use it to put together visuals for customers during bathroom renovations. 

I am currently renovating an upstairs home and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to recreate this knee wall short ceiling in my plan. 

We are opening the wall to the left which is currently the MBR closet. This whole space will become a Master bath/ closet.

919ABDB0-3B33-4F9A-9B54-25B36B98E2EE.jpeg

15 minutes ago, richoffan said:

Quick sketch -very quick. Draw your exterior walls. Open wall dbx for appropriate walls and change to gable and set pitch. Auto build roofs. Build new floor (do not check raise roof) Go to second floor and draw wall in correct location. Wall will be knee wall and "sloped wall" will be your roof

knee wall.pdf 235.51 kB · 3 downloads

Ok that worked but how would I set the height of that knee wall? It’s grayed out and won’t let me adjust the height.

10 minutes ago, zachrhcks said:
27 minutes ago, richoffan said:

Ok that worked but how would I set the height of that knee wall? It’s grayed out and won’t let me adjust the height.

Chief doesn't set wall heights, walls are controlled by the room ceiling height, or by the height of the rafters it butting up against. 

No "wall height" adjustments in Chief....Room Heights.

1 minute ago, joey_martin said:

Chief doesn't set wall heights, walls are controlled by the room ceiling height, or by the height of the rafters it butting up against. 

No "wall height" adjustments in Chief....Room Heights.

Ok that knee wall is 59” tall then starts to slope, how would you go about achieving that in the plan?

You could set a ceiling height see where the ceiling line show and move the wall to that location. You could use CAD lines to establish location by height and move the wall there but walls don't have height control of themselves. If it doesn't need to be a wall for your purposes use a soffit or polysolid and size accordingly

Set the ceiling to 59 and move the wall to the intersection - you need to know the pitch and the overall dims for any of this to work. Or I just saw Joey's post - if all you need is the interior of that space set the roof on a 59 plate height - still need the pitch

37 minutes ago, javatom said:

That looks like a very long span for the ceiling joists (that you now want to use as floor joists).  You should have an engineer look at it.

That is all getting changed, right now I’m just trying to finalize the design.

After you put actual floor joists in, that will lower the wall height by the thickness of the floor. You may also need to furr down the ceiling to get the required amount of insulation to fit depending on what climate zone you live. many other things involved, get a pro too help you.

7 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

After you put actual floor joists in, that will lower the wall height by the thickness of the floor. You may also need to furr down the ceiling to get the required amount of insulation to fit depending on what climate zone you live. many other things involved, get a pro too help you.

I’m a general contractor, I’m only here for help with the computer design. All the other aspects are already planned out.

• Downvote 1