Chief Architect Software Licensing Changes

Fairhaven_Homes

I have recently retired from my custom home building business. We have used Chief for the last 15 years and had intended to sell my license at some point in the future. I have paid for SSA  every year but intended to skip this year. Sooooo with the new subscription terms it looks like I must pay for SSA to keep up it's value..I'd welcome any suggestions or comments.

Thanks Charlie

2 hours ago, Fairhaven_Homes said:

I have recently retired from my custom home building business. We have used Chief for the last 15 years and had intended to sell my license at some point in the future. I have paid for SSA  every year but intended to skip this year. Sooooo with the new subscription terms it looks like I must pay for SSA to keep up it's value..I'd welcome any suggestions or comments.

Thanks Charlie

I'd suggest calling Chief and getting the Info direct , but it seems that Chief is now not allowing License Transfer any longer ( since Nov.29th ) , and SSA is not transferrable anyway , ( never was) so their may not be any point paying, if you no longer require it ?, though we should see X15 in the next 6 mths hopefully, so if you plan to dabble in the future maybe it is.

Phone

Sales / Customer Service / Training:

Call Sales on Skype:

Technical Support:

Fax:

208-292-3420

M.

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

CA doesn't allow re-sale of licenses anymore

there was NO warning on this change of policy

so there is NO value to keep up...

Lew

This has been stated in about four threads now Lew.  You have been asked by several if you had reconfirmed it other than the original sales person as others had received other information....  We haven't heard back from you so I am assuming No you didn't call in and ask regarding transferring your license and not selling your license.  I had a client transfer their license to one of Mick's clients not too long ago so it has been possible as you state.  But possibly due to emotions it wasn't expressed properly or the agent who told you differently was confused of your intentions.

Maybe we can ask @ChiefArchitector @Dermotor anyone else at Chief to comment regarding this?  Are transfers still allowed until Jan 10th?  After?  If transferred before or after does the new license holder have the opportunity to purchase SSA at that time and continue with a Legacy license?  Please clarify for us all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, rgardner said:

This has been stated in about four threads now Lew. 1 You have been asked by several if you had reconfirmed it other than the original sales person as others had received other information....  We haven't heard back from you so I am assuming No you didn't call in and ask regarding transferring your license and not selling your license.  I had a client transfer their license to one of Mick's clients not too long ago so it has been possible as you state. 2 But possibly due to emotions it wasn't expressed properly or the agent who told you differently was confused of your intentions.

3 Maybe we can ask @ChiefArchitector @Dermotor anyone else at Chief to comment regarding this?  Are transfers still allowed until Jan 10th?  After?  If transferred before or after does the new license holder have the opportunity to purchase SSA at that time and continue with a Legacy license? 4 Please clarify for us all.

PLUS 4 RYAN !!!

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Maybe we can ask @ChiefArchitector @Dermotor anyone else at Chief to comment regarding this?  Are transfers still allowed until Jan 10th?  After?  If transferred before or after does the new license holder have the opportunity to purchase SSA at that time and continue with a Legacy license? 

Please clarify for us all.

Yes please do..... but it's not like they haven't had the opportunity already though is it ? it seems now they have lost another of my clients who was hoping to buy into Premier via a Transfer , but he won't pay full price or go Subscription so.....

M. 

On the question about reselling or transferring your software license and that entity being able to renew the SSA prior to its expiration:

The current Chief Architect End User License Agreement does not allow selling or transferring a license to another party. However, there are some special situations where a license transfer can occur if it is approved by Chief Architect.  An example might include an employee that purchases the software on behalf of a company and that license should be in that company’s name or a principle of that company.  If a license transfer is approved, and the SSA is current, then it can be renewed.

22 minutes ago, ChiefArchitect said:

The current Chief Architect End User License Agreement does not allow selling or transferring a license to another party.

Yes, nice move Chief, you've removed a whole page from the EULA without telling anyone as well ...... wow....

Both can be found easily still if anyone else wants to compare them....

M.

2 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Ask them - get it straight from the horse's mouth ....

And so I did.... and they were kind enough to repost. Transfers are still permitted subject Chief's approval as always. Were they more lenient in the past? Probably. Will they be more lenient in the future? Possibly. Right now every prudent person and company is being cautious about the uncertain future. The statement " We don't do that anymore" is incorrect. License transfer is subject to approval on a case by case basis.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes, nice move Chief, you've removed a whole page from the EULA without telling anyone as well ...... wow....

Well Mick now you have me confused. I just spoke to them and was told transfers are still permitted per the agreement if approved. They did say they were tightening down the restrictions as they were very loose before.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, lbuttery said:

PLUS 4 RYAN !!!

Hmmm, you know how to call CA

Ask them - get it straight from the horse's mouth ....

Lew

Lew with all due respect.  I am not the one who is transferring or trying to acquire a license.  I was just getting tired of seeing you rant about it when some experienced users made a recommendation of how to confirm with the proper terminology to see if you still may be able to.  Right here in the response from chief they mention that it is possible in certain instances.  Why not try to call in and "transfer" your license to another user instead of selling your license?  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, richoffan said:

Well Mick now you have me confused. I just spoke to them and was told transfers are still permitted per the agreement if approved. They did say they were tightening down the restrictions as they were very loose before.

They changed the EULA on Nov.29th as well to severely restrict all transfers, i.e. to only within the same company etc.....

Just compare the current available EULA and an older one for yourself.... almost ALL the language around Transfers is now gone, a whole page as mentioned above is now a paragraph.

M.

7 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Why not try to call in and "transfer" your license to another user instead of selling your license?  

That's what he did , he just accidently called it "Selling" here on the Forum...... a Transfer is selling your license, this he understands.... and he was told he couldn't do it.

M.

X3 EULA.pdf

47 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Just compare the current available EULA and an older one for yourself.

Ok

If you read the X3, longer, transfer clause it spends more time explaining the restrictions and requirements than the X14 does. They both say transfers subject to approval. Just wondering, has a building department ever changed their interpretation of a restriction in the code?

X14 EULA.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a controversial topic and won't be resolved until someone actually tries to transfer a license. Until then, all we know is that in the past transfers were fairly routine, and that right now Chief is obviously remaining vague about the policy going forward.

I do think it's unfair for a certain member to continue making posts and threads claiming it's no longer allowed, and I for one am tired of seeing it.

@Fairhaven_Homes I would recommend advertising your license for sale, as has always been done on the Offering Services forum, and see what happens. 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/16-offering-services/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

severely restrict all transfers, i.e. to only within the same company etc.....

This is what CA has posted on this forum and what I was told when I called in

If anyone doubts this - then call CA yourself 

Prove me wrong

as I would love to be able to sell/transfer my license for $2,500 approx.

Lew

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

do think it's unfair for a certain member to continue making posts and threads claiming it's no longer allowed, and I for one am tired of seeing it.

Chris:

Sorry, but I will speak my mind

if you don't like it then too bad - get over it

CA has posted on this thread today that I am correct

"The current Chief Architect End User License Agreement does not allow selling or transferring a license to another party."

Lew

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

20 hours ago, richoffan said:

If you read the X3, longer, transfer clause it spends more time explaining the restrictions and requirements than the X14 does. They both say transfers subject to approval.

Yes, it has ALWAYS been subject to (CA's) Approval, nothing changed there and it has never been an Issue till now, for Anyone to Transfer a License to Anyone Else, as noted earlier in the Thread, one of Ryan's and one of My Client's did a Deal with no problem after I saw Ryan make an Offer for his Client on the Offers Forum.

I am the 1st to admit, I don't check the Eula every new version, ( Chief has never sent out a new one or advised End Users of any Changes that I am aware of? , so why would I ? My bad? I don't think so, that's called Transparency )

And since Chief doesn't date them or even label them per version, (legal?) I don't know which Version/Date I was looking at earlier today, so in all likelihood Scott, Mark and you are all right ...to a point .... I am not sure when they added the slippery "Chief Architect reserves the right to modify or discontinue its policy of license transfers at any time and for any reason."   .......    or changed the rest of the EULA without telling us.

M.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

That's what he did , he just accidently called it "Selling" here on the Forum...... a Transfer is selling your license, this he understands.... and he was told he couldn't do it.

M.

If you notice in his many postings he specifically says they told him he could not sell the license, when others pointed out he has to transfer it he never answered their questions.  So no, I don’t assume he did.  They are very specific in saying no sales but transfers with approval are able to be performed.  

• Downvote 2

SELL - TRANSFER

what the h*** is the difference

I asked if I could SELL/TRANSFER my license to another user and they said NO !!!

I did ask for a transfer form and what the transfer fee would be

I then stated that since I was retired I might as well put Chief in the GARBAGE

and I was told that was my choice

CA has twice posted on this forum that it can't be done anymore

except in VERY limited cases

so anyone who has a problem with my postings needs to get over it

Lew

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Here's a twist.  The software is ALWAYS the property of chief and EULAs are in place for the user to use a copy of the software.  We never really own the software.  Many software agreements make this clear.  My designs are always mine.  Some builder can't resell my design to his builder buddy and cut me out......but it happens.

We will get past this and move in directions that work best for each of us.  It sucks when emotions get injected into situations where money or whiskey is also involved.

Cheers ;)