Edit A 3D Warehouse Symbol

RobUSMC

For someone that has never used Sketchup but has used a lot of single symbols from 3D Warehouse can someone tell me when I want to download a symbol in this case a shelving unit but there are two of them in the downloaded file but I want to separate them or just use one or both but as separate symbols and add to my library how to do this. I'm just wanting the symbol only with nothing else.  I also see a lot of these symbols on 3D WH that has a person in them.. Not sure why but want to keep the symbol but get rid of the person.  See the attached screenshots of two examples.

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-12-11 114521.png

Screenshot 2022-12-11 112758.png

Screenshot 2022-12-11 114419.png

Screenshot 2022-12-11 112848.png

Yes this is a common problem.  I believe this can be done in Sketchup with relative ease but it is also possible in Chief by using the Delete Surfaces tool and recreating a new symbol.

It can be a bit tedious so sometimes changing the symbol's smoothing angle can make it easier.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

it is also possible in Chief by using the Delete Surfaces tool and recreating a new symbol. 

It can be a bit tedious so sometimes changing the symbol's smoothing angle can make it easier.

I agree it can be done this way in Chief but honestly for something like this, a few solids multi-copied and turned into a symbol is probably just as fast

especially if the Manufacturer has specs or even dwgs online to look at.

M.

Rob,

You can use Blender to import the .dae format and separate.  Export from blender to .obj to fix the z fighting in surfaces.  You will most likely need to choose meters as units and rotate in the +x.  If you are not familiar with Blender it is an awesome program and you do yourself a favor by getting familiar with it.

Cool shelf unit BTW.

12 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

never created a symbol in Chief.

Here's a plan used to make something like what you are after for the open shelves. I went toward making symbols as cabinet doors and using cabinets for the shelves. Open cab DBX and check construction and faces.

Symbols included open symbol and check origins and stretch planes. You can make the as fixtures interior instead, I made one complete as a fixture interior. YMMV. Gotta run

Shelves.zipimage.thumb.png.ce8c808fba9b075748575f1149a56907.png

Shelves.zip