Curved objects

marlem2000

Helo, everybody again :)

Here we go with more questions.:rolleyes: In this example (picture attached) I have managed to build the “circle” up in the wall over the bed thanks of the help of all the users in my last topic talking about the moldings.

How can I curve an object, in this case, some curtains? I’m seeing that applying some curves in some objects I can do many useful things.

Many thanks in advance :)

idea.jpg

I have a special "tool" set up specifically for this purpose.  The basic concept is that you convert your desired object(s) to a cabinet door symbol and then use a Bow Front cabinet to get your desired size and shape.  Just download the attached symbol and follow these basic instructions:

1. Download the attached object.  Its really just a Bow Front Cabinet set to a Filler and with every element turned off except for a single Door Front.
  2. Select the object(s) you would like to curve, and click the Convert Selected to Symbol tool.  Choose Symbol Category>Cabinet Door/Drawer, check Add to Library, and check Show Advanced Options.  Click Okay.
  3. When the Symbol Specification dialog opens up, change the Y Position Origin Offset to 1/16" (this will cause the door symbol to hug the cabinet front with no gap between the door and the cabinet)
  4. Drop the previously downloaded "Symbol Arching Tool" cabinet into your plan
  5. Select your previously created Door/Drawer and hover over your "Symbol Arching Tool" cabinet.  You should see the Replace From Library indicator.  Click to replace.
  6. Change the width and height of the cabinet to adjust the overall width and height of the newly curved object and change the Bow Front Depth to adjust the radius of the curve.  NOTE:  It really helps visualize things a bit better if you at least temporarily turn on Show Closed Doors/Drawers in Plan View in your General Cabinet Defaults.
  7. When you get the shape you want, simply select the cabinet, Convert Selected to Symbol, and select Symbol Category>Fixture

Symbol Arching Tool.calibz

Using the tool above, I was able to grab a simple curtain from the core catalog and create this new symbol in just over a minute. 

Pic.thumb.jpg.4126f9e87e290f7f87debfe6da08a4a8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hi, Alaskan_Son! Many thanks for such a long explanition! :)Unluckly, I could not load your file. Probably it's because I'm using an old version of Chief Architect (X12 Premier).:( I'll try to open your file in another computer but I think it won't work. Do you know any other method to curve objects? Anyway, the one you explained looks interesting. I understood everything!:lol:

3 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

Hi, Alaskan_Son! Many thanks for such a long explanition! :)Unluckly, I could not load your file. Probably it's because I'm using an old version of Chief Architect (X12 Premier).:( I'll try to open your file in another computer but I think it won't work. Do you know any other method to curve objects? Anyway, the one you explained looks interesting. I understood everything!:lol:

There are quite a few methods but most are more complex than this one.  Here.  I threw together an X12 version of the tool for you...

Symbol Curving Tool (X12).calibz

I could make the file work with no problems this time.:D Now I am stuck on the Replace From Library indicator. I cannot find it.:unsure: I was trying the Replace From Library tool marked in the screenshot but I don’t know if it’s the right one. When I click on it nothing happens. Probably I’m using something wrong.

Captura.JPG

3 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

I could make the file work with no problems this time.:D Now I am stuck on the Replace From Library indicator. I cannot find it.:unsure: I was trying the Replace From Library tool marked in the screenshot but I don’t know if it’s the right one. When I click on it nothing happens. Probably I’m using something wrong.

Captura.JPG

In X12 you’ll need to be in a 3D view.

21 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

Is there a way to add points to the created object (in this case, the curtains) in order to adapt it carefully and give it the right shape? For example, like in Photoshop?

No.  That would be a far more complicated process and not one I have time to spell out.  Its possible, but requires some ridiculously convoluted methods that I don't currently have the time or inclination to try and spell out.  I don't think you'll find them anywhere else either.  Your best bet is to just try and get it close enough OR use a different software to make the symbol OR hire someone to model it for you OR see if you can find one that's close enough on 3D warehouse or on one of the other various 3D symbol/model repositories like Turbosquid.

• Like 1