Adam_Gibson

Design is getting busier and busier, and rather than keeping clients waiting, I'd like to streamline my process. What slows me down are construction docs. I've been accused of attempting perfectionism (which any decent "perfectionist" would admit is impossible), so I'm looking for someone very detail oriented.

My projects are almost always high-end remodels, although I'm getting some new build inquiries. I am always the designer of record and often recommend a general contractor whom I typically oversee, but I do no contracting (that was a past life). Therefore as much gray area as possible must be eliminated from the plans. 

I've attached two zipped layouts:

• A typical Adam Gibson plan set that includes a small addition to be used as an example of my finished product.
  • A (client name blanked) plan I've yet to finish that needs the remaining cabinet and window elevations and steel post/beam details. The unfinished set will need a lighting and electrical plan that I'll take care of. 

If I can find the right person to collaborate with on an ongoing basis, it could be a win-win for all. I have no idea what to expect to pay, but I do know that I'd want a fixed price per plan for which I'd identify a very specific scope of work. Typically it would be all elevations and cross sections and a framing plan if needed. I'd give the drafter the completed schematic, including renderings and whatever notes are needed to "get it."

In the case of the plan I've attached, in which the footprint is not expanding, it only requires the cabinet and window elevations and steel post/beam sections. If anyone's interested, please let me know! 

AGD Typical Plan Set.zip

Blanked Kitchen 10.zip

Adam,

I've been designing and building new homes and remodeling project for over two decades.  As I see you have, I gave up the construction end of the business a couple of years ago.  I have since been focusing on custom home and remodeling design working with a number of other designers, contractors, and home owners.  Most of the builders and designers I work with are in the situation you described in Chief Forum - they don't have the time, or in some cases the expertise, for the detailed construction documents phase of the project. 

While we are very detail oriented and actually like the detailed portion of the process - I know this is not typical - I have never submitted the "perfect" set of plans.  You are right; this is impossible.  However there is nothing wrong with trying to reach this goal. 

Unfortunately, I have not purchased X7 yet.  Is this still in the beta testing mode?  Therefore, I am unable to open the zip files. 

Please let me know if you would like to discuss the possibilities.  I can be reached as noted below.

Michael Crum, GMB, CGB, CGR

Chief Design Consulting, LLC

(703) 909-5588

michael@ChiefDC.com

www.ChiefDC.com

Hi Michael,

Yes, X7 is still in beta, but it is very solid. I've had almost no issues. Unfortunately I've done quite a bit of work on the files in X7, so I can't revert without losing it. Another user already responded to this request and will work on it next week, but I'm always open to building new relationships. I anticipate requesting collaborative help on construction documents for the foreseeable future if business continues as is. 

Regards,