Resources for CAD Standards

skoz44

Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a CAD standards manual for a new employee to utilize (line weights, fonts, notes, wall shading, procedure of evernts, etc).  I've been using Chief for over 12 years and most of my standards are all in my head.  Would anybody have any resources as to how to do this?  A template possibly, or outline of what should be in it.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I'd say you can a Comprehensive Mock Project.

While you are doing the project

1. Write down
    • every single step or generalized steps
    • even if they are duplicates
  2. Categorize the steps
    • The steps that are duplicates but them in a generalized category or process group
    • then have group/process specific steps 

Lastly, you might want to do a project with the procedure of events that you developed and see if you had to add or take away anything. 

Once you finish the manual give it to the new employee and if he still has questions that you think should've been addressed in the manual and to the manual and the next new employee will have a better manual and so on and so on. 

• 8 months later...

@skoz44did you ever end up finding any useful info elsewhere? I'm in the beginning stages of putting together some Best practices for myself and future employees. Any info would be helpful. We are a kitchen and bath design firm, so we are Kitchen-centric but open to seeing how general design firms create standards, best practices and processes when drafting plans etc. 

I did find a number of resources.  The challenge is most of them are based on AutoCad and other software systems, so it's been taking some time converting colors, shading, line weights, etc. to CA.  Send me an email to aaron@aaron-co.com and I'm happy to share.

The big challenge I'm finding is a "look" that I like.  My goal is to create an overall format that I consider a piece of art, rather than just a drawing set. I have found some samples that I like but once again, trying to duplicate shading, line weight, etc. from a pdf that someone else created...