Help with Roof Eaves thinking porch walls below are a room?

DynamicDG

Go to solution Solved by Garybills,

Not sure I worded that right. CA X14 - I have a front porch with a half wall detail above for a modern look. Chief thinks this is a room (marked as "Unspecified" in dbx) and so does not complete the eaves on the adjacent walls. Is there a work-around for this or should I just stick a 3D solid to it and call it a day?

Pictures with and w/out a roof to show how eaves react. Unable to upload .plan file due to size.

Screenshot1.thumb.jpg.e7b49f29d2ce4722bad00c8e4cdbd758.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

On 12/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, SNestor said:

You should upload the plan..or a sample plan so we can see the settings and correctly advise you.  

I'm not sure how to get the file under 14mb, I stripped it down to just the section of the house that is the issue and it's still over 40mb. 

Can you post a link to a cloud file? Never the less I think I misread your original post. I think (now) you're saying you have a porch and just want a parapet wall around the flat roof? There are videos on this on the Chief website. Would be easier than trying to explain here. Not difficult just follow the steps in the correct order.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1530/

@DynamicDG - See the attached screen clip. Is the "flat roof" area a "room"? If so, what type of a room is it. Maybe you can open this "room" and show us a screen clip of the settings for that room.

If it's a roof...well, you are going to have to change it to make things work. 

2022-12-05_16-07-49.thumb.png.574b110f9e7f6359c3672180bba749f0.png

7 minutes ago, Garybills said:

I defined the lower level as a porch which fixed most of the overhang that was missing and the side overhangs, I fixed by adjusting the attic walls on the sides. I attached a zip file of the plan. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.871a2aece2bd1133bddd5a98c9baa761.PNG1918831348_Capture2.thumb.PNG.e79d17bae1de4e5565e4ae6da5efd3a7.PNG

Exeter - CA.zip 10.39 MB · 1 download

I forgot to mention I marked the inside walls of the brick columns no room definition. I think they were causing most of the problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garybills said:

I defined the lower level as a porch which fixed most of the overhang that was missing and the side overhangs, I fixed by adjusting the attic walls on the sides. I attached a zip file of the plan. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.871a2aece2bd1133bddd5a98c9baa761.PNG1918831348_Capture2.thumb.PNG.e79d17bae1de4e5565e4ae6da5efd3a7.PNG

Exeter - CA.zip 10.39 MB · 2 downloads

Excellent! Thank you so much. I spun my wheels on this one way too long. 

3 minutes ago, DynamicDG said:

Excellent! Thank you so much. I spun my wheels on this one way too long. 

Your welcome, it took a little trial and error and when I deleted the 2nd floor wall those brick columns went all the way to the roof in the area with the overhang missing. 

55 minutes ago, Garybills said:

Your welcome, it took a little trial and error and when I deleted the 2nd floor wall those brick columns went all the way to the roof in the area with the overhang missing. 

I didn't even think about those being rooms, Did notice their behavior changed when I deleted the upper walls. I'm only two months into CA full time and still learning all the quirks.

Thanks again!

On 12/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, Garybills said:

Hey Gary - do you use Twinmotion at all? Before this fix, I was able to import the 3DS file into Twinmotion, but now it glitches and does not load. Wondering if you (or anyone reading this) could try it on their end to see if TM imports the file.

Thanks!!

1018869933_Exeter-CA.zip

20 minutes ago, DynamicDG said:

Hey Gary - do you use Twinmotion at all? Before this fix, I was able to import the 3DS file into Twinmotion, but now it glitches and does not load. Wondering if you (or anyone reading this) could try it on their end to see if TM imports the file.

Thanks!!

1018869933_Exeter-CA.zip 10.39 MB · 0 downloads

No I’ve never used Twinmotion I’m just learning the rendering in Chief. 

2 hours ago, DynamicDG said:

Thanks!!

1018869933_Exeter-CA.zip 10.39 MB · 0 downloads

I could not load a 3DS version either, but .dae worked.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Chrisb222 said:

I could not load a 3DS version either, but .dae worked.

Thank you for checking. Yes, .dae works but the rotator tool (for doors) does not work with .dae.

I'm afraid the file is corrupt somehow... may just need to redraw the whole thing >:[