Combined Cabinets on Schedule?

SusanC

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

Hi,

I often specify cabinets to be combined at the factory and would like to be able to "block" them and have them show up on the schedule as one unit.  I've tried making a custom category in the schedule and the cabinet dialog box, but do not seem to be able to get the "block" to show up on the schedule or have a label.  Any thoughts?  

Thanks!

Susan

Maybe if Chief would provide a "Mull Cabinets" tool you could use the Schedule and Labeling features of "Mulled Units".  This would be similar to "Mulled" Doors and Windows.

There was an Import capability of a symbol as a "Cabinet" in prior versions.  You first had to export the symbol as a SKP and then import it.  I think that's still available but I don't think any of the Chief Cabinet parameters are retained.

• Upvote 1

I just tried converting to a Symbol instead of a block.  Then you can add it to the Cabinet Schedule.

I did a couple extra things:

• Made the Cabinet w/o a Top
  • Named it as "Double Base Cabinet" -- you can use whatever name you want
  • Placed on the BASE CABINET Layer
  • Put it on the BASE CABINET Display Layer
  • Added a Custom Countertop with 50% transparent fill.

Not the perfect solution but it works.

I would also add a comment or some Custom OIP Fields for the Cabinet Mfr.

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Maybe if Chief would provide a "Mull Cabinets" tool you could use the Schedule and Labeling features of "Mulled Units".  This would be similar to "Mulled" Doors and Windows.

Isn't this what an architectural block is for?

You can block your cabinets, mark the arch block as "treat as one object" and "include in schedule", and then choose the category you want it included as.

You can also convert it into a symbol like Joe suggested but then you lose the ability to modify the cabinets.

• Upvote 2

Thank you both for the suggestions!

I'm thrilled to learn about "treat as one object" checkbox and I can now see the block in my cabinet schedule!  One more question - how to get the schedule label to show on the block.  There are a number of options under the label tab on the block, but I seem to be able to see no label or each of the individual cabinet labels.  Any suggestions? 

Be aware that Architectural Blocks may or may not show the desired width and depth values.  It’s the biggest downside of going that route in my opinion. Architectural Blocks report the bounding box width along the plan’s X axis and they report the bounding box depth along the plan’s Y axis.  That means you’ll get the desired dimensions in one specific orientation, you’ll get inverse dimensions in a perpendicular orientation, and you’ll get completely different dimension in a horizontal orientation.

Yes!  I had checked "include in schedule" but forgot to check "show schedule callout".  Label now showing.  :) 

As for desired width and depth, so far I have not run into that when dimensioning in plan view and elevation view.  Everything seems to be reporting correctly, but I'll keep an eye out for odd dimensions.

Now I am going to head over to the Suggestions Forum and request a way to "mull" cabinets to avoid all of the extra steps needed to get an architectural block to show up.  Please feel free to chime in on that thread as well.

Thank you all, much appreciated!!