Chief Architect Software Licensing Changes Beginning January 10, 2023

ChiefArchitect

2 minutes ago, raltd9245 said:

I think The pedople at CHIEF should satisfy their greed another way.

I suspect this has nothing to do with greed but the need to tackle ever-increasing technical challenges with the growing body of code that runs CA. As the code grows in complexity, the task of making sure that enhancements don't interfere with existing code.  This requires more programmers and more people checking for unintended code glitches.  While I agree that the step they are taking is, perhaps, too large, I can certainly understand the need for a continuing dependable revenue stream.

On another issue, for heaven's sakes guys, if you are going to down-vote, then explain why.

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

I suspect this has nothing to do with greed but the need to tackle ever-increasing technical challenges with the growing body of code that runs CA. As the code grows in complexity, the task of making sure that enhancements don't interfere with existing code.  This requires more programmers and more people checking for unintended code glitches.  While I agree that the step they are taking is, perhaps, too large, I can certainly understand the need for a continuing dependable revenue stream.

On another issue, for heaven's sakes guys, if you are going to down-vote, then explain why.

I agree with Doug. Greed is a bit strong and I would believe self preservation, making a reasonable profit and making enough to do adequate R&D all come strongly into play. It's a simple business model, they have to make money or why bother. Hopefully, they will be able to sustain.

I don’t think it’s greed because they are still allowing SAA for long time users to continue if they opted for it within the allotted time.

It’s definitely an updated system now with no more Chief Interiors product being offered. Most of those users will be migrated to Chief Premier if they want to continue to be upgraded because they could also choose an SSA option before the expiry date.

The SSA period is over for us who didn’t upgrade within the specified period.

The best decision IMO would be to offer both an SSA option or a subscription option for new users. Of course SSA perpetual licensing would cost more because if you miss your SSA the upgrade fee naturally increases.

I am not testing X15 but it is obvious that the former Interior users will get a good look in with X15 and future releases of Chief Premier.

Maybe I should have upgraded before the allotted time ?

Circumstances in life change for all of us, to me not continuing SSA or upgrading before the expiry date was a no brainer if you lived in the US.

I look forward to what X15 has to offer and I am glad that I can still get a 50% discount for my first year if I wanted to upgrade to X15.

• 1 month later...

So I have used CA essentially as a hobbyist since X2.  I also used it for about 5 years to create simple plans views and 3D renderings for my Metal building business, from which I am now retired.  Currently, I am using it to design a remodel of our home as well as I sometimes crank out simple plans for friends and family.  That said, after all these years, I am still a very simple user and hardly touch the software's capabilities, but I have paid for SSA because it was reasonably priced.  

I also realize that the world is rapidly changing, and everything is moving to a recurring revenue model.  And yet even those models are under threat of AI domination.  It's hard to navigate the rapidity of change.  Just today, I watched a guy on YouTube code a simple but working landing page with a working input field that was programmatically published on his GitHub account simply by talking to Siri, which he connected to ChatGPT through an application he wrote and called Jarvis.  When some of the world's mega-corps build APIs and connect their design softwares to AI...  well, will design capability one day be available to everyone simply by talking to a machine?  Or will it only be in the control of a few?  Who knows.  The economic disruption of this is...  well, who even is smart enough to contemplate what that future will actually look like other than the many movies we have all seen. Do we even need money?  LOL.

I was very dissatisfied when I moved from X12 to X13 because X13 it ruined my ability to generate decent 3D renderings.  This was fixed in X14.

BUT FOR TODAY AND NOW...  While the initial cost plus $600 yearly seemed reasonable to me, and while I can afford it, I cannot justify $199/mo for this hobby.  But I'd like to be able to keep my CA and use it.

So I just want to know, can I use my X14 until it stops working due to limitations in operating system evolution?  And essentially, I am confused as to whether I should move to X15.  And/or is CA offering lifetime past users the ability to continue with SSA pricing?

Can someone summarize for me in simple bullet points or point me to another page or thread that does so?

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

So I just want to know, can I use my X14 until it stops working due to limitations in operating system evolution? 

At this time, yes.

18 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

And/or is CA offering lifetime past users the ability to continue with SSA pricing?

At this time, no, unless you are current now. Then you can continue into the future. At this time, anyway.

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

At this time, yes.

At this time, no.

Thanks and so, in my digital locker, I have the option to update to X15 with the same License code as my X14.  I guess because my SSA auto renewed in January???  So is this X15 version going to remain usable if my SSA cancels in the future?  Or should I just stop where I am now at X14 and not upgrade any of my past plan designs to X15?

3 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

Thanks and so, in my digital locker, I have the option to update to X15 with the same License code as my X14.  I guess because my SSA auto renewed in January???  So is this X15 version going to remain usable if my SSA cancels in the future?  Or should I just stop where I am now at X14 and not upgrade any of my past plan designs to X15?

Once it is in your locker you maintain indefinite use of it.  You will not get newer versions if your ssa becomes expired in the future.  Basically keep your SSA current and nothing changes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

I edited that post because yes, if your SSA is current you can continue with SSA indefinitely (as of now). I guess it's up to you but if you've been paying SSA all this time, I would definitely recommend X15. It has some great upgrades.

6 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

So is this X15 version going to remain usable if my SSA cancels in the future?  

Yes. As of now. You won't be able to restart SSA if it lapses, but the version you last paid for will continue to function after SSA expires.

I keep saying "as of now" because, as we have seen, policies can and will change.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

So I have used CA essentially as a hobbyist since X2.  I also used it for about 5 years to create simple plans views and 3D renderings for my Metal building business, from which I am now retired.  Currently, I am using it to design a remodel of our home as well as I sometimes crank out simple plans for friends and family.  That said, after all these years, I am still a very simple user and hardly touch the software's capabilities, but I have paid for SSA because it was reasonably priced.  

I also realize that the world is rapidly changing, and everything is moving to a recurring revenue model.  And yet even those models are under threat of AI domination.  It's hard to navigate the rapidity of change.  Just today, I watched a guy on YouTube code a simple but working landing page with a working input field that was programmatically published on his GitHub account simply by talking to Siri, which he connected to ChatGPT through an application he wrote and called Jarvis.  When some of the world's mega-corps build APIs and connect their design softwares to AI...  well, will design capability one day be available to everyone simply by talking to a machine?  Or will it only be in the control of a few?  Who knows.  The economic disruption of this is...  well, who even is smart enough to contemplate what that future will actually look like other than the many movies we have all seen. Do we even need money?  LOL.

I was very dissatisfied when I moved from X12 to X13 because X13 it ruined my ability to generate decent 3D renderings.  This was fixed in X14.

BUT FOR TODAY AND NOW...  While the initial cost plus $600 yearly seemed reasonable to me, and while I can afford it, I cannot justify $199/mo for this hobby.  But I'd like to be able to keep my CA and use it.

So I just want to know, can I use my X14 until it stops working due to limitations in operating system evolution?  And essentially, I am confused as to whether I should move to X15.  And/or is CA offering lifetime past users the ability to continue with SSA pricing?

Can someone summarize for me in simple bullet points or point me to another page or thread that does so?

Thanks.

Hey Basil, your AMSM1 Ultra machine can handle the X15 video card requirements easily for now and into the future with its huge GPU capacity.

My older PC machine couldn't produce the 3D views or cross sections with testing the CAX15 demo so I will have to download it again, this time for my Mac to be able to test it out properly.

“Mac M1 compared to Nvidia & AMD video cards link below”

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/10/19/m1-pro-and-m1-max-gpu-performance-versus-nvidia-and-amd