Need to buy a computer

Revella

Go to solution Solved by Revella,

I need to buy a new computer and will be running X14. Will these specifications work?

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900F processor (16-Core, 30MB
Cache, 2.4GHz to 5GHz) 

AMD Radeon[TM] RX 6800 XT 16GB GDDR6

32GB Dual Channel DDR5 at 4400MHz; up to 128GB 
512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

Thank you for any and all help!

2 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

The SSD is too small, 2Tb would be better

I run 512 just fine. I know a lot of people say to get more, but not sure why. My understanding is you would have to check read/write speeds and then decide. But even that I'm not sure would make much of a difference with CA, as I assume CA caches to memory for the vast majority of functions (and I would assume you have enough memory that the disk cache is not needed). So the question would be how often does CA read and write to disk, and is it enough to make a difference. (queue the multitude of comments to come from people who have actually measured as I am purely speculating ...)

My windows and installed programs are about 130GB

this leaves > 300GB. With my CA directory for each client being mostly topping out at 300MB, I could do 1000 projects before I run out of space

.well i just did some playing around and CA is reading and writing to disk fairly frequently, so probably best to check the performance of each size of drive.

so maybe buy more for performance if it is significant and cheap, but for pure storage, 512 GB is lots, at least for me. I also have a backup drive, so storage is even less of an issue

it does bring up a question, what exactly is the best bang for one's buck for performance, CPU, video card, video card memory, etc.

15 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

So the question would be how often does CA read and write to disk

Constantly, as Chief uses UNDO_Plans...... which are copies of the Full Plan, these aren't held in memory but in the Undo Folder.... ( see Preferences )

512Gb would be minimum these days for an SSD , large drives ate typically a little faster and with some a better warranty , so I'g do 1TB min , 2TB if in the budget.

I personally prefer Nvidia Cards , but that maybe another Budget decision?  a 3070 or up with 8GB of Ram should be fine.

M.

• Solution

This is what I ended up going with. I hope I made the right choice!?!

Hard Drive

1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

AMD Ryzen(TM) 9 5900X (12-Core, 70MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.8GHz)

Memory

64GB, 2x32GB, DDR4, 3466MHz, XMP
Video Card
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6