Problems making a large shed dormer

cbucks

I would not think of that as a dormer at all.  Its really just a box with a relatively shallow pitch roof.  The dormer effect is being created by a steeper pitch roof facade that just wraps around the building.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  This is how I would handle it...

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Mike, this is not a Real Dormer, and Chief's "Auto Dormer" Tools won't deal with this well, so just learn how to do it manually,

as it not as hard as it may seem to notch a Roof plane at the Ridge and pull it down opening a Hole to allow the 3rd floor Walls to pop up.

Chief has a KB article and Video on doing manual Dormers ........

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00449/creating-a-manual-wall-dormer.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1521/manually-drawing-dormers.html?playlist=95

and I think Eric ( @solver ) may have some too IIRC.

Mick.

1 hour ago, cbucks said:

Thanks I am having a bear of a time trying to make this design does anyone have an example I can try to decipher / emulate

It should work fairly easily doing it like Michael showed above, ie built a 3 story building ( 1/2 height 3rd story?) and let chief put the Roof on Auto, turn off auto roof and then on the 2nd floor draw a roof plane over the Hip walls  ( can draw 1 and copy reflect it to other side )  and then join them together. Then cut the notches, using 2 breaks to get the "U-shape" plane. I usually pull this cutout wider than the house and then let chief "snap" the cut back to the walls.

I'll take a quick look at your plan above.....

Mick.  

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'll take a quick look at your plan above.....

I stripped your plan down to a single floor due to other issues and auto built the 2 upper floors with a gable roof auto ( 4/12) and then did as above instructions, going 12/12 on the 2nd floor so ridge meet nicely. I don't know the real ceiling heights for the build so you will likely need to play with this some. M.

image.thumb.png.7d9540a62d44c41c0ec83c444f292f57.pngimage.thumb.png.f8c499287a07960736fef47dca108654.png  image.thumb.png.860cb5ec5c1a5b51603f0b8512f0c11d.png     PLAN FILE : BeachHouse_MHD.plan

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It should work fairly easily doing it like Michael showed above, ie built a 3 story building ( 1/2 height 3rd story?) and let chief put the Roof on Auto, turn off auto roof and then on the 2nd floor draw a roof plane over the Hip walls  ( can draw 1 and copy reflect it to other side )

Very close to what I did but one small difference:  I simply selected one the of automatically generated roof planes, clicked the Copy/Paste tool, clicked the Paste Hold Position tool, opened the copy up, Locked the Ridge Top Height, changed the pitch, and then placed a couple breaks, reshaped, copied, and reflected. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...