Importing 3D AutoCad drawing into CA

myrtsbnye

TL  DR - Is there a way to import Autocad 3D objects into CA? I've tried and only the 2D objects in the drawing import. When I check the layer display options in CA the 3D layers are imported...just not used.

Hello All

About 15 years ago I did 3D drawings of log homes in Autocad. At the time I used Accurender to create renderings. This combination worked well enough for the projects I did at the time. Then the need for renderings dried up and I just continued using autocad for the construction drawings for the log homes (no 3D required). I've since moved over to CA for conventional home plans.

Now an old log home customer is interested in a reno and would like to see it in a rendering. His house was one of the homes that I did do in 3D so the model is set to go but I do not have Accurender any longer. I can get a trial version for this one off but there would be a learning curve considering I haven't used it in over a decade and have lost all my materials I created specifically for the renderings. 

I tried to import the 3D drawing into CA and the 3D objects don't import. Is this a limitation or am I missing something (I usually am missing something)?

Even if this is possible it may still not be the answer I am looking for. 

In the end I'm just looking for a way to render a "quick" reno to an old autocad model. Maybe the answer is it would not be worth the time and elevations in Autocad would be sufficient here.

Thanks in advance