gray out underlying drawing

sunnyseven

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Hi, 

I'm having trouble graying out the walls underlying my roof framing drawing. I can go to the display options and gray out the windows, doors, etc., by selecting the color, but attempting to gray out "walls normal", which is what the layer is for the walls, doesn't seem to have the same effect. The wall assembly does have several colors involved which leads me to believe the color can't be changed from where I'm attempting to do it. There is only one color represented in the layer set. Anyone have any ideas? X10. Thanks. 

I suggest opening the Help Files (via Help>Launch Help or by pressing the F1 key) and searching "Displaying Walls" because there are a LOT of nuances with how walls display depending on:

• Whether you're in a plan view or in a 3D view
  • Whether or not the wall is a Pony Wall
  • Whether or not the wall is set to Invisible
  • Whether or not the wall is a Railing wall
  • Whether or not the wall is a Foundation Wall and whether or not that foundation wall has a footing
  • Whether or not the wall is an Automatically generated Attic Wall
  • Whether or not the wall is on the foundation level
  • Etc.

That being said, in general, there are 3 basic layers and layer behaviors you should be aware of for basic plan view display of normal walls:

1. Walls, Normal (or whatever layer you may have manually placed your wall on):  This layer decides whether or not the wall is disaplyed  at all.
  2. Walls, Layers:  If this layer is displayed, the wall and all of its relevant layers (more on this below) are displayed based on the line style and fill settings in the wall definition (which may or may not be controlled by Layer).  If this layer is NOT displayed, then only the Interior and Exterior surfaces (or extents) of the wall are drawn, and those lines are controlled by the layer settings (not by the Wall Definition).
  3. Walls, Main Layer Only:  If this layer is displayed then only the Main Layers of the wall are displayed.  If Walls, Layers is also displayed, then the line style and fill settings from the wall definition are used, otherwise, the layer settings are used.

• Solution
17 hours ago, sunsen said:

There is only one color represented in the layer set. Anyone have any ideas? X10. Thanks. 

You could do it by turning off the layer  > Walls, Layers    and then making the Walls, Normal layer  -  Line Color Gray but not sure if that is the "look" that is required?  I also use the same gray (RGB 152,152,152) for the Doors, Windows, Stairs etc in the Roof Framing Layer Set. 

( Make sure Walls, Main Layer only is OFF to see Walls full width. )

image.thumb.png.a91800f96285162f1f4947d96ef7e374.png