New System

RobUSMC

I just found out my older Dell Alienware desktop one of my designers is using will not support X-14. Im going to order myself a new system and give her my 2 year old Alienware.  Here are the specs of what I built online. About a $5k set up.  Does this look like a good set up, over kill?  I am NOT a tech guy and just looking for input.  I have a Dell business account so I wont go to another brand. Thanks

13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 13900KF (24-Core, 68MB Cache, 3.0GHz to 5.8GHz P-Core Thermal Velocity)

Windows 11 Pro, English

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090 24GB GDDR6X

64GB Dual Channel DDR5 (2x 32GB) at 4800MT/s   There is an option for 64 GB, 2 X 32 GB, DDR5, 5200 MHz, XMP  for another $100

1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

Dark Side of the Moon 1350W PSU, Liquid-Cooled CPU & Clear Side Panel

one thing I have noticed is my memory is not pinned, video card memory is not pinned,  and my CPU is not pinned but CA is not "lightning quick" . so I'm not sure the extras you are scoping out would be much better than half of what you spec.  ...but that is just my experience.  I'd be curious to find out what exactly if anything is a measurable difference, because then I think everyone could spend the money on what is making the difference. i.e I'd go spend the extra $500 on the better processor if that was the factor

On 11/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, RobUSMC said:

There is an option for 64 GB, 2 X 32 GB, DDR5, 5200 MHz, XMP  for another $100

1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

For a $100 I would go 64GB as I think that system is easily a 5yr system for Chief and who knows what's coming....

(mis-read I thought it was a 32vs 64GB question, not 4800vx 5200mhz - so save the $100.)

And probably a lesser Videocard  ( 3080Ti? ) - unless you can use a 4090? Gamer too ? and use some of the extra

$$$ on a 2TB NVME  and a 4TB internal HDD or SSD (Storage + Backups) , maybe two if you are a pack Rat  :)

M.

I think it is overkill, I just got the system in my signature. this works fine. As yet I haven't done full render but that will be next week.

However in saying this I don't know the type of work you do, only you can decide that.

FYI my system should be around $2000 for you based on exchange rates.

2 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

My thought on this system was to stay ahead of the game and have a longer usable system for CA and what could come in the future

I thought about this as well, but then decided maybe upgrading the hardware more frequently would be the better choice, as you never know what might be coming next, plus you get the new o/s when you upgrade HW

8 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

Im not a gamer.  My thought on this system was to stay ahead of the game and have a longer usable system for CA and what could come in the future.

I also prefer the approach of upgrade more regularly than purchase the very top end as over time you'll have better performance on average for similar money.  There were a few years when performance increases were modest which goes against this approach, but overall this has served me well although a couple of times I've upgraded the GPU mid cycle (I always have older systems to hand down parts to so this isn't a waste).  

Your proposed system is great if you don't mind the cost, but I would not go 4090 yet and spending another $100 to go from 4800 to 5200 Mhz  DDR5 isn't going to make any realistic difference (hence why there are both DDR4 and DDR5 motherboards for that CPU socket because even a generation difference in RAM doesn't make much difference to most operations)

Thanks for all the input.  Again I am not a tech guy or a gamer.  However, Other than having a design build company, I'm also a pediatric trauma flight nurse and absolutely love helicopters and is what I did in the Marine Corps. so from time to time I do play around with a helicopter flight simulator.  Just a few more questions... Again the system I have now that I will move to one of my designers is also an alienware and the GPU is the RTX 3060 with an intel i-9 CPU (was the fastest when I got the system a few years ago)  Using an online comparison benchmark webite  https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4090-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060/4136vs4105 the 4090 seems to blow the 3060 away.  I guess my question is if I go with the 3080 Ti or 3090 now, will I see a significant difference in speed, renderings, camera views, raytracing, etc.. compared to the 3060?  I don't know if it matters but I do use a 3 monitor system... 32" and two 30".  Last question... I see the "Ti" with some chips... what does that mean? My only other two options I have if I dont go with the 4090 is the 3080 Ti or the 3090... Thank you SO much for your help. I'm WAY out of my zone for sure.

2 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

My only other two options I have if I dont go with the 4090 is the 3080 Ti or the 3090... Thank you SO much for your help. I'm WAY out of my zone for sure.

Well one other option I see now I read you SIG. is to pass only the 2080Ti down and get yourself a 3080Ti, 3090 or even a 4090 if you think your SIM needs it...I don't think a 4090 is needed for Chief, it just isn't pushing the 3D capabilities of the card ( or DirectX12 ) to the limits IMHO. I game occasionally too, so went with the 3080Ti (EVGA FTW3, at the time the 3090 was WAY overpriced, not now) and am happy with Frame rates etc , of course if you have the budget a 4090 won't hurt :)

If you don't mind scratch and dent..... EVGA still has some 3080Ti stock.....  they have officially stopped making Graphics cards though, at least Nvidia ones for now so no 4000 series from them.

https://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3080+Ti

• 2 weeks later...