Dormer issues

Jambruins

Attached is my plan. 

I am having trouble getting my dormers to work. The dormer on the side opposite the stairs is good but I can't get the dormer over the stairs to work.  I would like the dormer wall to be right along the right side of the stairway but when I move the wall there it says it can't create the dormer because walls are in the way. If I delete the railing around the stairway it removes the stairway opening.

I also cannot change the siding material on the dormer over the stairs but I can on the opposite dormer.

Thank you for the help. 

house.zip

In the shared plan file Default Settings - Walls - Exterior Wall was  not set to your predominate exterior wall, also Default Settings - Materials - Exterior Wall was set to Blue Siding. The dormers will be easier to edit when exploded, try it. Other than that I did not find much wrong and was then easy to straighten out the dormers.

DJP

Many things need to be fixed in this plan...I took some liberties to fix things. "Somewhat Fixed" plan attached. Ahern house manual dormers - Fixed.plan

The main floor roof (10/12) I made using trusses checked...but the dormer roofs are "stick" framed with 2x8's. I raised the main 10/12 roof off the plate because the floor was sticking through...and, the dormer side walls were sitting on a floor that was above the top surface of the roof. You could fix that using a solid...but, I thought it better just to raise the roof. 

Don't paint walls...nothing but trouble. Make new wall types.

I also created a new saved plan view called "roof plan view". 

8 hours ago, Jambruins said:

Steve, can you save the file down to version x12?  I can't open the file because it was created with a newer version of chief.

You can't "down-save" Chief Plans, there is no backward compatibility only forwards. ( never has been actually )

Also might be  worth a look at the reasons  Not to Paint Can Exterior Walls in chief as Steve Mentions....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31850-paint-can-tool-material-painter-best-practices/?tab=comments#comment-250698

M.