New to Ray Trace

DNA727

Does anyone have a quick reference guide to recommended settings using ray trace? I've seen videos of people selecting "indoor - high quality, indoor - low quality" and outdoors as well. I can't find a video explaining what the numbers are behind those settings. Just got a computer capable of ray trace this weekend, so total newbie.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Chief Architect has a series of 7 training videos on Ray Tracing (and you'll find recommended settings in there)  that just came out this past summer.  The presenter in the videos also teaches through Chief's One on One training and is a great teacher.  

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 1.25.29 PM.png

On 11/20/2022 at 8:00 AM, DNA727 said:

Does anyone have a quick reference guide to recommended settings using ray trace? I've seen videos of people selecting "indoor - high quality, indoor - low quality" and outdoors as well. I can't find a video explaining what the numbers are behind those settings. Just got a computer capable of ray trace this weekend, so total newbie.

Thanks in advance!

------

Actually; Chief has a few tutorials you can reference about their raytracer.  @SusanC has as screen grab of the vidoes I think we all recommend; but here's the link if you have trouble finding them:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/103/ray-trace.html

This one in particular may help you sort out the lighting:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1972/ray-tracing-gpu-lighting.html?playlist=103

Keep in mind; if your graphics card doesn't have a 'raytracer' you'll be limited on how your images turn out.  If this it he case your better option for renders is Chief's CPU renderer which takes a bit longer to complete but should give you a decent quality.