Mansard Roof with Dormers (maybe)

Doug_N

10 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm not even sire what I'm looking at there.  Those look like inverted dormers where the "dormer" is actually just an inset lower pitch roof with lap siding instead of shingles.  Very strange.  Can't advise without knowing what's actually happening there. 

I am going back to the site today to take a few more pictures of the roof.  The top of the roof meets as a hip roof with shallow pitch planes.  We "Mansard" part is sort of like sloped walls. with vertical planes for the windows.  Very strange indeed. 

Really need a better picture, good your going to look in person.

It appears to me the area with the window is the vertical wall  part of mansard style construction.

Just break your roof on either side and then make a separate pitch for under the window area and adjust the pitch so it intersects with the bottom of the window. 3d solids for the trim boards.

• Upvote 1

This picture shows what you might have going on.  The steep sloped portion of the mansard is just a steep overhang that is added to a normal 2nd story roof.  The steep part basically covers the wall that is supporting the shallower pitched portion of the roof system.  I placed a skylight in it to show how it might work.

mansard window.jpg

2 hours ago, Electromen said:

A little off topic but does anyone know why Mansard roofs were first created?

I do, I let you know after your comments.

Contrary to whatever you might think you know, the real reason is because old Francois Mansard wasn’t nearly as good a manager as he was a designer.  He ordered way to much roofing and not nearly enough siding.  

The truth is that the Charles Mansard family launched an attack on building design slaying Greek and Roman influences in wall and roof designs based on the Golden Ratio.  Several designs were killed in an inky slaughter that haunts and horrifies not only designers but also builders' dreams.  This clearly demonstrates the danger of design cults and evil practices.  

Pictured below is a photo of Charles Mansard attempting to start a new, but failed cult of the "mini police cap"

2065701219_CharlesMansard.png.d65d77ffc219a988bfa4084c9ea85ab0.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's what I was taught in Graduate School Architectural Design:

The Mansard roof, started in the 1600’s in France.  It was named after the architect François Mansart.

It resulted from a tax evasion scheme where property owners were taxed by the number of floors in their building below the roof line. The Mansard style of roof made the top floor liveable – and tax free. If it was shingled, it was a roof, not an additional floor.

4 hours ago, MPDesign said:

Hey Doug,

I had to try my idea of how to make this. Seams like it works.

sample included

Mansard-roof.jpg

Mansard-roof-testing.plan 6.07 MB · 1 download

Well done!  I have done the same, but haven't had the time to post the result.  I was surprised by CA's limit on roof slope to 96 in 12 though.  That is a bit of a problem but this as built drawing will be good enough for my purposes.  Thanks for posting this.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:01 AM, Doug_N said:

I was surprised by CA's limit on roof slope to 96 in 12 though.  That is a bit of a problem

According to your drawing, all you need is 82.036° .  96 in 12 is about 82.875°.  Where is the problem?  By the way, we only have that limit in the Wall Specification dialog.  The limit is 89° in the Build Roof and Roof Plane dialogs.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

According to your drawing, all you need is 82.036° .  96 in 12 is about 82.875°.  Where is the problem?  By the way, we only have that limit in the Wall Specification dialog.  The limit is 89° in the Build Roof and Roof Plane dialogs.

Good catch Michael. The limit wasn't a problem for this job but it conceivably could be a problem at some point.