Liquid Cooling failed

Electromen

My MSI Desktop, eight month old, shut down without warning.  It wouldn't turn back on.  

I waited 15 min and it booted up.  I check internal temperatures and the CPU was 98º C, so I shut it down.

I took it to a local computer medic and he said the cooling system failed.  It is water cooled.

He said water cooling was a good idea but he's seen plenty of them fail.

He's installing an air cooled system.  Labor & material = $100.

So if you're ordering a new machine, you may want to save the extra money and avoid liquid cooling of the CPU.

• Like 1

Puget Systems will build a water cooled system if that's what you want, but I had 3 different people from their company try to talk me out of it....so I listened.  I had a system built with a nocturna air cooler for the CPU.  It works great.  I even got a 3080TI to fit in there...BARELY.

1 hour ago, para-CAD said:

Puget Systems will build a water cooled system if that's what you want, but I had 3 different people from their company try to talk me out of it....so I listened.  I had a system built with a nocturna air cooler for the CPU.  It works great.  I even got a 3080TI to fit in there...BARELY.

I also have a 3080 Ti, but it has its own cooling system.  I should get the computer back tomorrow.

Good to know you can confirm possible liquid  cooling problems.

Our workstations are all from Falcon Northwest and use liquid cooling. Since 2014 we've operated 8 units and experienced only 1 cooling system failure, with a replacement cost of $150. In the previous 16 years we ran air-cooled Dell workstations with Quadro cards and fried at least two power supplies per year.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy has always been that the inside

of my computer is no place for liquids. I had the

unfortunate situation of spilling lemonade onto

my workstation once and it was not a pretty sight,

but I digress. I have always used spacious cases

and very robust power supplies and have never

had an over heating issue. It's the same reason

that I run Avid mechanical disk brakes on my road

bike. Who want's to mess around with a hydraulic

system and the potential for seal failures and fluid

leaks? 

My 1st question would be why isn't MSI replacing it under Warranty?  Free for upto 1yr normally....

Personally, I've been watercooling for about 8 yrs, never had a failure of the pump, but have replaced some Fans,

as I seem to prefer Arctic Cooling's Fan "noise" vs Corsair's AIO Fans for example and am currently running

(2) of  Arctic's Freezer 240mm AIO's ( a V1+V2 ).

I did use Noctua Coolers previously too , but as an ex-Overclocker found they couldn't keep up when the system was loaded, but have heard good things about the current generation like Mark's D15, if you are in the "no water in my PC" group.  ( I've never seen/had a leak myself , but YMMV. )

Mick.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, Kbird1 said:

My 1st question would be why isn't MSI replacing it under Warranty?  Free for upto 1yr normally....

Personally, I've been watercooling for about 8 yrs, never had a failure of the pump, but have replaced some Fans,

as I seem to prefer Arctic Cooling's Fan "noise" vs Corsair's AIO Fans for example and am currently running

(2) of  Arctic's Freezer 240mm AIO's ( a V1+V2 ).

I did use Noctua Coolers previously too , but as an ex-Overclocker found they couldn't keep up when the system was loaded, but have heard good things about the current generation like Mark's D15, if you are in the "no water in my PC" group.  ( I've never seen/had a leak myself , but YMMV. )

Mick.

I filed a RMA with MSI for replacement.