Pivot entry doors, modeling

VisualDandD

So finally have a client really to push some bounds on a modern.   We are going to spec a 6'x10' pivot door w/ center pivot.   My only issue is trying to represent in Chief.

I can of course do a door frame and make some solids to represent the door.  But wondering if there is a better way.

I was experimenting with the door dialogue, and if you do a double door, swing both ways, you can have them pivot from center of door.   But that is falling short for me.

Wondering how others may have solved this....   I am sure @Renerabbitt has probably done this with a cabinet at some point ;)

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

You’re not wrong

@Renerabbitt  I was half joking, but only half ;)

I will play around with it.  I have to see what they end up picking style wise, but I was thinking of fudging with a polyline solid built up and make the 2-d work in CAD.

Thank you for sharing.  You have certainly fallen down the 'rabbit hole' with the work arounds using cabinets!  Nice!

I personally wouldn't overthink it and wouldn't hesitate to just insert a standalone symbol inside an Opening for one off situations like this.  Yes, it can be done in various ways with cabinets or doors but I don't see any real benefit in having to futz around with all those various settings and the typically undesirable plan view display.  To show open and closed, just use 2 symbols placed on different layers. 

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I personally wouldn't overthink it and wouldn't hesitate to just insert a standalone symbol inside an Opening for one off situations like this.  Yes, it can be done in various ways with cabinets or doors but I don't see any real benefit in having to futz around with all those various settings and the typically undesirable plan view display.  To show open and closed, just use 2 symbols placed on different layers. 

Michael,

This was kind of the route I was thinking.  KISS.   I have a few layer sets that show in 3d and elev that dont show up on my FP views.   Seems easy enough to do with a few things.

Might be too niche a thing, but be a nice feature to add to doors to control pivot point...etc.

I am just excited.  Kinda like graduating to the 'big' leagues.   FINALLY getting to work with a client who does not care about budget.  Of course everyone cares to some extent, but it is not factoring into design decisions.   Normally on modern homes, I start to run into things getting deleted because of cost and that wont happen here.   Will have lots of steel, built-up roofs, and tons of commercial glazing, giant glass accordian walls...etc.   Fun stuff.

I have done a good amount of modern, but it is always on the budget minded side.   This time I get to free myself from those restrictions!  

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys.   Bump update.  Bringing into focus.....

It is nice when you are not asked to compromise much on the design end.  You can do fun stuff.  Yes, even moats and waterfalls with suspended walk ways ;)

Remember, rendering is not really my 'thing'.  But I do it to capture the project feel.  I do enough to translate the idea, but I dont sweat the details too crazy so dont be too critical of rendering ;) 

Engle18.thumb.jpg.7c83e0107cc36444324844b6a8103525.jpgEngle17.thumb.jpg.476db608e0f26b66d14af93a271bac85.jpg

Engle.jpg

Engle3.jpg

Engle5.jpg

Engle6.jpg

Engle8.jpg

Engle10.jpg

Engle11.jpg

29 minutes ago, ProPlan_2011 said:

What did you use to render?

WIsh I could live there but probably not pay for it :mellow:

I am using TwinMotion2022.

I dont spend too much time in the rendering.  Do most in chief and then I pull in and just make it look pretty in TM.

They guy who's home it will be is a big car nut.  We have bonded over cars since I am as well.  I am not against brown nosing ;-)   So I dropped a few easter eggs in.

A 959, a 930 and a GT3RS.   They fit will with the home!

Engle18_001.jpg

Alan,

That was Perry who posted the link.

Frameless glazing can be done with a solid glass panel railing.

Newels have No Material assigned.

Fine tune from there.

I have been out of touch for a while but I think glass railings down here have to have a top rail - usually a small aluminium C section.

In which case, just add a top rail.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 8.25.20 pm.jpg