Separate garage at different elevation

Caddman

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

Hello,

I can't seem to find the fix for my issue, hopefully someone can help out!  I have a plan I am working on that has a detached garage, but the issue is it keeps it at the same elevation as the main building. The property has a slope, and the garage will be lower that the main home. Since the main view from the home looks at this direction, it important in the design process to limit how much the garage structure interferes with the viewpoint, so adjusting the proper height is important. Thanks, in advanced!!

many find it easier to create separate buildings in a separate plan

then make a symbol of the building and place the symbol in the library

then place the symbol(s) in the master plan 

much easier to control placement etc

can it be done in one plan - yes, 

if one is very familiar with all the tools

I prefer the simplicity of separate plans

Lew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

The garage is a "room", open the dbx for the room and use the structure tab to set all the heights relative to 0'-0", which is the sub-floor of the home. If the garage is 3' lower than the house, then you need to tell Chief that.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot Tomorrow, I’m guessing that method I will have to refer to the garages in the main house as something else…

48 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

many find it easier to create separate buildings in a separate plan

then make a symbol of the building and place the symbol in the library

then place the symbol(s) in the master plan 

much easier to control placement etc

can it be done in one plan - yes, 

if one is very familiar with all the tools

I prefer the simplicity of separate plans

Lew

I typically would do something like this however I need to show the client how the separate garage is viewed from the second/main floor of the home. Their concern it the roofline will block to much of the view … hence the need to put in same plan to illustrate how much view it takes up, and how the accuracy of the elevation plays into the view

2 hours ago, Caddman said:

I’m guessing that method I will have to refer to the garages in the main house as something else

You wouldn't have to change the name, it has no structural effect.. But it might be a good idea to rename the detached garage to something like..."Detached Garage". Then when people are discussing your plans, everyone will be able to know what the other person is referring to...as long as you can find people who are clever enough to refer to a room by it's actual name.

• Like 1