Auto Exterior Dimensions To Surface Layer Instead Of Framing?

grantmohr

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

In X6, is there a way to auto dimension to the exterior surface instead of the framing?  I changed the dimension default to locate objects->Walls->Surfaces but it still wants to use the framing when auto dimensioning the exterior.  When I looked in help I found changing the main layer of the wall type would work, but doing that has other side effects that I don't want.

Thanks!

Grant

Ack!  how did I miss that!   Thanks!

One of the people I draw for gets completely confused when the dimensions go to the framing layer.  Just making it dimension to the exterior for him is easier than explaining this every time.

Thanks again!

Grant

I changed the dimension default to locate objects->Walls->Surfaces but it still wants to use the framing when auto dimensioning the exterior 

That should've worked.  Maybe you didn't rebuild the auto dimensions after?  Or maybe you changed the wrong defaults?  Don't know but if you posted the plan, I bet someone could figure it out.  Personally, I wouldn't mess with the wall types.

One of the people I draw for gets completely confused when the dimensions go to the framing layer.  Just making it dimension to the exterior for him is easier than explaining this every time.

I would charge him double.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post. I have enjoyed all the great input from the experts on this site. I am a builder who just bought this program. I am getting used to all the subtle tricks to make the program do what I want it to. 

When I build, I flush out the wall sheathing with the foundation wall. This help with many issues, but means that I have to back off the sill plate 1/2 inch from the block wall. With this in mind, I usually draw my plans with the foundation wall as my main layer, which means that my plates will be 1/2 inch back from that. Is there a way to do this in the plan without screwing everything else up? Thanks

Richard

Cottage Construction

I usually draw my plans with the foundation wall as my main layer, which means that my plates will be 1/2 inch back from that. Is there a way to do this in the plan without screwing everything else up? Thanks

The best way to do this is to upgrade to X7, where you can have multiple "main layers." You would just include the sheathing as part of your main layer definition.

This is my first post. I have enjoyed all the great input from the experts on this site. I am a builder who just bought this program. I am getting used to all the subtle tricks to make the program do what I want it to. 

When I build, I flush out the wall sheathing with the foundation wall. This help with many issues, but means that I have to back off the sill plate 1/2 inch from the block wall. With this in mind, I usually draw my plans with the foundation wall as my main layer, which means that my plates will be 1/2 inch back from that. Is there a way to do this in the plan without screwing everything else up? Thanks

Richard

Cottage Construction

There are always ifs ands or buts. But...... To answer your question..... I would upgrade to X7 and with x7 you can include that 1/2" plywood in your MAIN LAYER...... And blah blah blah....... Now you have to decide whether you want to dimension to your stud or to the plywood.

This is a perfect example as to why these kinds of questions are so hard to answer without very specific guidelines.

There are a bunch of ifs ands or buts Involved.

In the wall type definition box there is a box in the middle that says "dimension to selected line".  You can set up your wall type with your 1/2 shear and have it dimension to that line. There is another box that says "build platform to selected line"  make sure this one is associated with you framing line.  when you build your foundation you will get to sets of dimension, one for the foundation that is different from the floor plan.  As a builder I run into this quite a bit these days, it is pain for my carpenters to constantly be adding or subtracting 1/2"....Remember at the end of the day someone actually has to build what we draw.