Anyway to create a murphy bed?

lashleydesign

21 minutes ago, lashleydesign said:

Does anyone know of a way to create a murphy bed that will open and close similar to a cabinet? 

Tips & Techniques is where you share with others your tips & techniques.  You should put this type of question in the Q&A section

It is easy to make a murphy bed make a symbol out of a bed and make it as a millwork symbol.  Use a bottom hinge door and on the back of that door use that symbol as a back of door attachment.

@lashleydesign, What a great question and a great challenge! I think this is the perfect place to challenge users for a new Tip and Trick!

I took you up on it and made a very rudimentary version - I think you could expound on the idea really easily.

image.thumb.png.1e933552f395a3319c19adc6e4c2aa4a.png

Here are the steps I took:

• Create a base cabinet and set it to the height, width, depth you would have in a murphy bed.
  • Change the face item to a single door. Set it to "Door, Hinge Bottom"
  • image.thumb.png.4e3497ef03b3493158d75dccee0531d5.png
  • Choose "Specify" for Shelves to turn off automatic shelves.
  • image.thumb.png.91a64b639fc245495a44bb693d48aef2.png
  • From the library browser, find a "mattress", I used a queen mattress. Copy it to your User Catalog
  • Choose "Open Symbol" from the mattresses context menu, and on the "3D" panel, rotate the mattress so that it is oriented as its "closed" position. I set mine up to be a tilt down from the end of the bed (oriented so that the pillows are at the bottom and facing away). You could set yours up to be sideways if you like. 
  • image.thumb.png.569d6cb06f6666daad6ce23c4fec91b2.png
  • In the Cabinet specification, Front panel, click "Specify" next to "Appliances/Doors/Drawers" and browse to your mattress.
  • image.thumb.png.b963d38870c2591425c51f1cea6e4103.png
  • Now you can show this cabinet door opened or closed to show the bed in action!
  • image.thumb.png.02344513dec8d5b4f8ecb29a0dc238d8.png

I bet other users like @Renerabbitt can add even more ideas here to elevate this object.

Thanks for the fun prompt!

Here is the plan file if you'd like to dissect.

Murphy Bed.zip

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4