Create Split-Level Entry

JPGraphX

Hello!

I'm new to this software. I enjoy a lot how it works but I have some hard time to figure how to create a split level entry. Please take a look at my pictures in attachment to see what is my problem.

First I created a new plan to try this tutorial: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00587/.

My stairs are working but I can't put a door on my entry (the doors appears on first floor..)

I also tried at first to do my split level entry in my existing house plan but it is not working at all. My stairs are not connecting to my floor 0 neither to my floor 1. (please see second picture)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

JP

post-4029-0-39208400-1422621290_thumb.png

post-4029-0-14127100-1422621899_thumb.png

Ok I figured that my stairs weren't long enough (or steps not high enough).

Now it is working. I would now like to add a door between my floor and is it possible to remove that ramp and foundation inside my house? Please see last pictures.

My foundation should start so high (my outside brick should go lower in other term)

I joined my plan! (by the way I'm on chief architect x4)

Thanks!!! :)

JP

post-4029-0-02538900-1422622563_thumb.png

3204_rue_valois.plan

You can make the foundation wall in the front a Pony Wall in the Wall Specification dbx Wall Types tab.  You'll want the lower type to be your 8" Concrete Stem Wall and the upper section to be Siding-6.  You're going to have to Define the Siding-6 wall type and change the layer material for your exterior layer from the green siding to the brick texture you're using for the rest of the front.  (If you paint the texture on a pony wall both the top and bottom walls get painted).  If need be you can adjust the heights of each part of the pony wall in an elevation view.

To get rid of the rails, open the Staircase Specification dbx Newels/Balusters tab and check off where it says Railing On Left.

To get the door on the landing correctly, you can drop the Floor in the Open Below area above the stairs to -52 1/2" (the height of the platform).

Hope that helps.

Hello!

MikeJG, you are a genius!

My doors is now on the landing. I have my bricks appearing. But where there is my door my wall seems to be a little inside my foundation.

That makes my front wall not showing the bricks (I think the bricks is beind the foundation).

Thanks!

JP

post-4029-0-90817900-1422643406_thumb.png

post-4029-0-84690500-1422643420_thumb.png

post-4029-0-84494200-1422643427_thumb.png

The first thing Chief grabs is the "room" (even though its the exterior of the house).  When you have that selected, hit the 'Next' button on the bottom menu.  

That should enable you to edit the pony wall.

Edit - You could also open the wall specification dbx, in the Wall Types tab, change the 'Elevation of Lower Wall Top" to -52 1/2".

The roof plane in the front of the house needs to move 19" forward (to match the 18" overhangs everywhere else).  Then you can reconnect the ridges using the 'Join Roof Planes' tool on the bottom menu (or hotkey [2]).

Not sure what is going on with the garage.  Could you post the updated plan?

JP, select the garage in plan view and in the room specification dbx select "Garage" for your room type...it automatically builds the garage floor and sill...you need to, though, draw in the frost walls...do it manually, though, or you might loose the other foundation work you already did near the split level entry.

You need to look at where you are placing these windows. Take a camera shot from the basement looking at these windows and you'll see what I mean...their right in the middle of the floor.

Take a moment and really look at your plan. If you want these windows in that wall somewhere, you might have to change the window size, or re-think your design...at least in this area.

1) Change your window defaults to "Single Awning"

2) In render view, place your window below the casement...at first, it won't place window exactly where you want it.

3) select window, then drag while holding Ctrl key down.

4) check window placement in basement camera view...that should do it.

I purposely placed the windows from the exterior, that might have been the trick.

post-82-0-48342600-1422665583_thumb.jpg