Best camera practices

stager386

Hi. Looking for suggestions on taking photos within small spaces. I’m trying to capture a closet design I’ve done for a client. I used the floor overview, I’ve done a straight on camera with making a wall disappear so I can stand further back etc… They all work but thought I’d ask if others have things that work for them.  This is for the realistic ray trace “glam shot”.  Thanks! 

Kate, sounds like you have good approaches – hiding your walls / turning walls invisible. 

In addition, one thing that I do is adjust the field of view in the floor camera setting so that I might help avoid clipping into a wall.  Also in plan view, I move the camera so it’s as close as possible to the wall or other obstruction.  It’s easy to move in plan view with your mouse and control key to override bumping. See the ‘bath 1’ example attached from the Austin sample plan.

The second, is to use the perspective floor overview camera to see into the space.  If you have more rooms than the bath it may take a bit of moving the camera to focus on your scene. See the ‘bath 2’ example.

BathSuite1.jpg

BathSuite2.jpg

planview.jpg

On 11/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, GeneDavis said:

Experiment with the camera field of view, height above floor, how clipped surfaces are hidden, and try backing up and using the hide walls option.

How do I hide the walls? There is a prompt for that in the camera setting, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Can you point me in the right direction to learn more about that? 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Try the "hide camera-facing exterior walls" option checkbox in the camera spec dialog.  See attached.  It is way down at the bottom.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 130452.jpg

Thats the setting I mentioned having tried.  It didn't do anything.

8 hours ago, stager386 said:

There is a prompt for that in the camera setting, but it doesn't seem to do anything

Might be only for exterior walls that one for views from outside the home.......

There is a Make Invisible Icon to on the edit toolbar too, which works to take a shot but needs turning back on again after....

image.thumb.png.58745d0365261528821aa266e3720ab4.png image.thumb.png.9378152fcfd0fa7ce51ba4ebbb7052a4.png  image.thumb.png.dc23b8d3246d8fc3996b1ee9265a8b22.png

15 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Post your plan, please

I think I figured it out, thank you! It only works with an exterior wall, but the "make invisible" wall icon is what I need to use, and I was not familiar with it. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Might be only for exterior walls that one for views from outside the home.......

There is a Make Invisible Icon to on the edit toolbar too, which works to take a shot but needs turning back on again after....

image.thumb.png.58745d0365261528821aa266e3720ab4.png image.thumb.png.9378152fcfd0fa7ce51ba4ebbb7052a4.png  image.thumb.png.dc23b8d3246d8fc3996b1ee9265a8b22.png

Ok this works on all walls.  Thanks so much.