Never a dull moment

winterdd

31 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Anyone ever had a surface that will not paint even after deleting the walls and drawing new ones as well as closing the drawing and reopening it?

image.thumb.png.4b0333215af6f73fe77d2cbbcfac0d3a.png

Have you turned it off and on again?

Is it plugged in?

Sorry couldn't resist the typical IT questions.  But sometimes a restart will do the trick.

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Anyone ever had a surface that will not paint

Believe it or not the problem might be coming from that little protrusion on the second floor. 

If those walls on the 2nd floor do not line up with walls on the 1st floor, then Chief can get a little screwy in unexpected places. 

This has been my experience, at least. 

image.thumb.jpeg.34b01a40b282f6cbee2a750359cffb03.jpeg

3 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Anyone ever had a surface that will not paint even after deleting the walls and drawing new ones as well as closing the drawing and reopening it?

image.thumb.png.4b0333215af6f73fe77d2cbbcfac0d3a.png

Why not change at the wall definition level?  It is extremally rare that I use the paint tool for a wall surface.   I dont feel it is an effective nor efficient way of drawing. 

More than likely you'll need to reset the wall types back to use the default material and then create a custom wall type with the correct external material.

You can reset the material to default using the material painter and checking the "Use Default Material" checkbox at the bottom of the window and then click on the walls. That should reset them back to their default material for that wall type. Once you've done that, I would then create a new wall type that has the proper material set. This is the most surefire way to make sure the correct materials are generating each time.

If you're still having issues, I'd recommend contacting our Technical Support team so they can walk you through that process.

• Upvote 1

When I've had this problem (and if I don't want to create a new wall type) I'd simply use a material region. Single click and it'll size to the whole wall. Paint the mat. region, then make it the default and repeat on other walls. Fast and easy.

3 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

Why not change at the wall definition level?  It is extremally rare that I use the paint tool for a wall surface.   I dont feel it is an effective nor efficient way of drawing. 

I agree with you, it is faster though when trying multiple color samples.

5 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I dropped the porch 3 1/2" and rebuilt the foundation and it worked.......who knows......I don't have time to figure out why this time.

image.thumb.png.b4f6194200b34e1e9467dc0fe9f1506d.png

Your foundation wall was not aligned properly so you had an attic wall there going up to the roof from the misaligned foundation wall.  

17 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Your foundation wall was not aligned properly so you had an attic wall there going up to the roof from the misaligned foundation wall.  

Believe it or not that second story jut out with the shed roof is like 7' away from the first floor front exterior wall if I understand you correctly. It's an illusion.

4 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Believe it or not that second story jut out with the shed roof is like 7' away from the first floor front exterior wall if I understand you correctly. It's an illusion.

Without seeing the plan I couldn’t tell you for sure but what I suspect is the walls you were trying to change which set back slightly from the middle section were not aligned properly with a foundation wall below. So, since there wasn’t a wall above the foundation wall Chief was automatically putting one there.  Attic walls will shoot through a regular wall and you will have one material that won’t change because it’s the wall behind it.  So in your case when you rebuilt the foundation it aligned those walls and fixed the issue getting rid of the extra attic wall that was “hiding” the actual wall.