Wall issues

MN_JohnH

I can't figure out why my walls are not meeting the roof.
I run into this a lot and usually finagle walls by puling on their handles etc but changing from gable wall to hip wall etc seems to make no difference in how the wall acts.
I just want them to act like when I first drew them where they just automatically connect with the roof.

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

plan.plan

Thanks for supplying your plan. It helped a lot with troubleshooting this issue.

First thing I would do is reset your walls back to their default heights. It looks like you've been manually adjusting the heights of those walls and you shouldn't need to do that for this plan. You can do this by going to the Edit Menu->Reset to Defaults. In the window that comes up, check the checkbox for Wall Top Heights and click OK.

Second thing is you've got rooms that are at different heights. They're not off by much, but just enough to cause issues. To correct this, open the room I've highlighted below, go to the Structure Panel, and then click on wrench icon next to the Ceiling value. This will reset the plate height back to the default value.

image.thumb.png.b154888d29142b79e3a702d518ff9e9b.png

Third thing is you have built a second floor in the plan and it looks like this structure doesn't need that. To correct this, go to the second floor in your plan then go to the Build Menu->Floor->Delete Current Floor. This will delete the second floor and will place you on the attic floor. Your end gable walls may be invisible at that point, so you'll want to select them, open then for specification, and uncheck the Invisible checkbox on the General panel.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, kellyh said:

Thanks for supplying your plan. It helped a lot with troubleshooting this issue.

First thing I would do is reset your walls back to their default heights. It looks like you've been manually adjusting the heights of those walls and you shouldn't need to do that for this plan. You can do this by going to the Edit Menu->Reset to Defaults. In the window that comes up, check the checkbox for Wall Top Heights and click OK.

Second thing is you've got rooms that are at different heights. They're not off by much, but just enough to cause issues. To correct this, open the room I've highlighted below, go to the Structure Panel, and then click on wrench icon next to the Ceiling value. This will reset the plate height back to the default value.

image.thumb.png.b154888d29142b79e3a702d518ff9e9b.png

Third thing is you have built a second floor in the plan and it looks like this structure doesn't need that. To correct this, go to the second floor in your plan then go to the Build Menu->Floor->Delete Current Floor. This will delete the second floor and will place you on the attic floor. Your end gable walls may be invisible at that point, so you'll want to select them, open then for specification, and uncheck the Invisible checkbox on the General panel.

This is great stuff, thank you for the detailed instructions!

• 3 weeks later...

Still having some problems with these walls.
I really just want to have the roof surface meet the exterior wall surface with minimal drip edge or trim.
I can't get rid of the gap there and now there is a little tab of the wall that sticks up in the corners through the roof.
Any help with this would be appreciated. 

More problems.jpg

more problems.plan

Thanks for this, Steve. I appreciate the time you put into it.
It does give me a few tips on constructing roof though having auto rebuild roofs on always causes frustration but likely there is something more I need to learn there.
Anyway, what I was really trying to do was to get away from having a roof fascia altogether. Weird, I know, but I am trying to do an as built drawing and that is how it is.
So just a minimal metal trim or drip edge and then going right into the siding.

But I can get there with solids or something.
What I would really like to do is figure out why I occasionally have these little corners of walls sticking through roofs. This is a constant aggravation for me, happens all the time. Seems like roofs always cut walls except when they don't.

corner.jpg

I played around with your plan a bit...seems if you add a "shadow board"...you can make the fascia disappear. This may be what you are trying to achieve?

I've attached the plan I've been changing so you can review what I did to the roof.  299742722_moreproblems - Steve Edits.plan

I fixed a few other things as well...you do have a "loft" on the 2nd floor so I made sure you had room definition and adjusted some of the walls/rails to make things work. Not sure it's what you want but you can make the needed changes.

2022-11-22_11-29-33.thumb.png.15b5867576de7f5a733535e4cb7d860b.png

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

I played around with your plan a bit...seems if you add a "shadow board"...you can make the fascia disappear. This may be what you are trying to achieve?

I've attached the plan I've been changing so you can review what I did to the roof.  299742722_moreproblems - Steve Edits.plan

2022-11-22_11-29-33.thumb.png.15b5867576de7f5a733535e4cb7d860b.png

Thanks, yes I was p[laying with shadow boards etc myself. It's all about a way to cover that edge I guess.
But I am really more interested in how you got rid of those little corners of the walls that were sticking through the roof.