Lost Plan File! Help

bdammeyer

Go to solution Solved by bdammeyer,

Do you have any 'real-time' backup software running?  Or possibly incremental (timeframe) backups?  If not in the archive you mentioned, then a backup copy you create outside of Chief's ecosystem would be where to find one.  If you don't have backups setup, I highly recommend it.  Odd for the archive folder to not have the file, wouldn't hurt to double check your 'autosave' settings within Chief.

For reference: I have (2) real-time backups running so if I crash and archive file is unsuccessful, I can go to the drive I save to as well as OneDrive's cloud backup that has version history.  I also have multiple nightly backups run as well.  I'm a little psycho about backups...lots of redundancy, but hate redoing my work.

Sorry if you lost your files...hate that feeling.

• Solution

thanks - its weird that it didn't save the plan file but it did save the layout. I have auto backups set to 10 minute intervals. Ill definitely check into an external backup option like you mentioned. It is the worst feeling losing work but I find it usually takes 1/2 the time to redo it as it did the first time. 

thanks Ben

Nothing worse. in the 20 years I've used Chief I've had 2 or 3 files go missing on the computer 'Archive' folders and only one time I was not able to retrieve one from my Carbonite backup. Still no worse feeling. I'm not sure but I think there might have been a change in X14 where the plan file doesn't have to be 'saved' before the archive setting start but am unsure. I also ow have DropBox that saves older versions and history that I've used perhaps once? Sincerely best of luck.

3 minutes ago, bdammeyer said:

thanks - its weird that it didn't save the plan file but it did save the layout. I have auto backups set to 10 minute intervals. Ill definitely check into an external backup option like you mentioned. It is the worst feeling losing work but I find it usually takes 1/2 the time to redo it as it did the first time. 

thanks Ben

Still not sure about this but I think older versions of Chief wants the plan files 'saved' before it starts to automatically save archived files? Anyone clear about this as I seem to have been trapped by that 'feature' in the past?

I believe that auto save for unsaved plans was added back in X13.  I don't think this was Ben's problem though since I don't think you could send an unsaved plan to layout in X12 either.  

The only other thing that might have been an issue is if you did a save as on the plan and might be looking for the wrong backup version?

I don't know if this will help, but there is a tech article about archive files here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00099/accessing-your-archive-files.html

Bummer.

Layout files and plan files sometimes get placed in different folders. 

Usually a quick check of the Archived folders may shed light.

In some instances, I've found numerous plan folders there w/o realizing that there had been so many saves. 

Chief Architect Premier X12 Data > Archives