Drop ceiling tv cabinet question.

dskogg

trying to make a cabinet drawer that drops out of ceiling to expose a flat panel tv.

I made the tv a millwork item and changed drawer in cabinet to the tv, just cant figure out how to rotate the cabinet or make it a symbol that

still has a drawer but opens down out of ceiling. 

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

image.thumb.png.d3b667fa8aa2287a4043b951cddc0db7.png

On 10/31/2022 at 9:17 PM, dskogg said:

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

AFAIK Cabinets can't be rotated , you need to turn them into a symbol 1st and you might need 2 Symbols, one opened and one closed on different layers to show it in different Views.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I figured out how to do this if you're interested.

I adjusted the offsets on the TV symbol and then attached the TV to a bottom hinge door. Set cabinet bottom to .5" below ceiling height. TV drops down below when cabinet is closed and disappears into ceiling/attic/floor above when door is open.

Ceiling Drop Down TV2.calibz

7 minutes ago, GriffDesign said:

I know this is an old post, but I figured out how to do this if you're interested.

I adjusted the offsets on the TV symbol and then attached the TV to a bottom hinge door. Set cabinet bottom to .5" below ceiling height. TV drops down below when cabinet is closed and disappears into ceiling/attic/floor above when door is open.

Ceiling Drop Down TV.calibz 2.83 MB · 0 downloads

FYI you saved the entire assembly as a cabinet door, as opposed to exporting the working cabinet :)

On 1/27/2023 at 1:47 PM, Renerabbitt said:

I made that before they gave us 180 swing degree..so here is one that is resizable
https://www.rabbittdesign.net/s/Rabs-Operable-Drop-Down-Wall-TV-z5lc.calibz

Nice Job Rene, how would i make it drop down further?  

In this case I have a 90" high soffit and one would want tv to get within 6" of a 30" high cabinet, you t want tv to be this high.

2108151602_Droptv.thumb.jpg.0c64f55bfd92c337dbc8f5e70ea3da76.jpg

• 1 month later...

We had a client that wanted this in their bedroom. He had the pulldown unit that the TV mounts to. It was supposed to be a fully enclosed pulldown unit.  We followed the install instructions and all we had to do is a little ceiling joist modifications to create the pocket for the unit to slide up in to and add an outlet in the attic for the unit to plug into. It was about a month later he called us and said when the unit was in the closed position up in the attic (In Texas attics can get to 160-200 degrees) the heat was so high it fried the TV. When he pulled it down the TV was so hot he couldn't touch it.  He wanted to keep it and buy a new TV. I told him I had a plan, we went into the attic and framed a large box 72 x 42 x 16 around the pull down unit, applied 1" insulated panels to the exterior of our new box, sealed it like an AC plenum and once done applied spray foam insulation over the entire thing. It probably had a rating of R-60 if not more. Since then almost two years ago he's had no issues. The mfg. should make this part of their install instructions or make their units with better insulation.  Bottom line.... if its recessing up into an uninsulated space make sure its well insulated. 

• Upvote 1