Custom library icon image

Charles

What is the best way to create a custom library icon image in the style that chief uses for their cabinets?

The automatic button icon choices are ok, but dont really match the standard graphic that chief has.

junk.jpg.df7aab0a492c26f2035423b1c92a9777.jpg

Thanks,

Charles

I think you would have to create it yourself using something like photoshop.  You might want to copy one of the button files that chief installs and then just edit it to look different.  You can find them in the install folder under ".../resources/buttons".  Look for "basecab.png" as an example.

They are 128px x 128px .pngs , and located in the Toolbars Folder, so if you are handy in Paint or another Graphic App

you should be able to edit them easily ...ie add heavier Colored lines like below, just double Click on the Icon and

Browse to the new/updated .png ,so the button updates or restart Chief.

C:\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X14 Data\Toolbars 

image.png.6c34cff6e8b3eef9d02352712a6fc88d.png

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Actually, they are located in the "resources/buttons" folder.

Some of them have a transparent background.  It would be nice if there's an easy way to convert that to make a copy with a white background.  Suggestions?

I could do that for you, shoot me an email with any specifics 

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I could do that for you, shoot me an email with any specifics 

HI Rene,

Basically, all of the icons have transparent backgrounds - because they are used on the Toolbars and the Toolbar Background color works for that.  I'm wanting to use them for the Stream Deck so I have to make a separate set that has a background.  Otherwise, any black or dark lines are essentially invisible.

I've started making them all on a gray background with the icon only about 75% centered.  It's a time consuming process to do it one at a time so if you have some automated process that will do them all at the same time - go for it.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

HI Rene,

Basically, all of the icons have transparent backgrounds - because they are used on the Toolbars and the Toolbar Background color works for that.  I'm wanting to use them for the Stream Deck so I have to make a separate set that has a background.  Otherwise, any black or dark lines are essentially invisible.

I've started making them all on a gray background with the icon only about 75% centered.  It's a time consuming process to do it one at a time so if you have some automated process that will do them all at the same time - go for it.

Thanks

Yes I have an automated process, just batch convert to jpeg. It will add a white background. I bet there is an online generator for it like convertio.co
So I would just have you send me every icon you need

Thanks everyone, great suggestions and I will try them all!!

@para-CADThanks for the dropbox link and all the icons.    @RenerabbittI appreciate your offer to do them for me, and I value your time, so its better that I learn to do it for myself.    I searched for an online generator, like your mentioned, but none, I could find are out there.

Question.... has anyone been able to draw the icons in a Chief cad detail and export them somehow?

-Charles

10 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

All the png's in the Chief X14 Program "resources/buttons" folder.

Yikes! That's only 1,823 files. And I was thinking

of volunteering to convert a few for you. I think

I'll defer to the Rabbitt on this one. :o :)

We've already got a conversion now, but for reference and if anyone wants to change the background colour (or re-run for the next Chief release) there are a number of free / cheap batch image converters. 

I use the XnConvert tool which is part of XnView MP (https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/) or can be obtained separately, both have Windows, Mac and Linux versions.  These are free for private use and very cheap for commercial use (sub 30 euros for the full XnView MP) and offer a lot of functionality.   I just did a quick test and after a quick setup for the conversion it did all the Chief button images in a under 3 seconds.

10 hours ago, Smn842 said:

We've already got a conversion now, but for reference and if anyone wants to change the background colour (or re-run for the next Chief release) there are a number of free / cheap batch image converters. 

I use the XnConvert tool which is part of XnView MP (https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/) or can be obtained separately, both have Windows, Mac and Linux versions.  These are free for private use and very cheap for commercial use (sub 30 euros for the full XnView MP) and offer a lot of functionality.   I just did a quick test and after a quick setup for the conversion it did all the Chief button images in a under 3 seconds.

Thanks for the link!

1 hour ago, Charles said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "stream deck"?

-Charles

Google "Elgato Stream Deck XL"

Basically it's the ultimate Backlit Hotkey Keyboard.  It was designed for "Streamers" but it can automate almost anything you want to do.  I use it to automatically load the Hotkeys for whatever App is currently active. 

• Chief Architect 
  • Word
  • Access
  • Excell
  • NotePad++
  • Edge
  • Thunderbird
  • Pdf-Pro
  • etc

For Chief I have hundreds of tools available with a maximum of 3 key strokes.  All the keys are assigned icons to indicate the tool.  There are only 32 keys but each of those can access 32 more and 32 more and ........

Take a look at some of the videos - you'll be amazed at the possibilities.  Each key can be assigned a variety of different actions and/or combinations of actions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, Renerabbitt said:

hey @Joe_Carrick Sorry I forgot to log back in and completely forgot about this
here you go:
LINK

ok guys kick me off the forum. i clicked this link and they were so pretty I just had to copy them to what i thought was my onedrive folder. i really screwed this up @Renerabbitt there now resides some of the icons as copies on there.  let me know what i can do to ease the pain.  thanks