Rotate vertical CAD object around X or Y axis.

wdlindberg

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

I am working in X14 on a powerful Windows 10 desktop computer.  I'm sure this problem has to do with me being rusty on Chief Architect and maybe it has something to do with the new version.  I have been working with Chief Arch sporadically since X5.

I am doing some simple manual framing of a box.  As usual, I started in plan view with the frame of the floor.  Am now working on the vertical frame.  I want to put in some angle bracing.  I have a 1 x 6 that I am looking at in a "cross section" view.  When I click on it I get the XZ edit handles (i.e. height, length).  However the rotate handle does not appear.  In the Transform tool, the rotate dialog is greyed out.

In the object dialog the vertical board (longest dimension is height) shows as height on Z axis.  Board width (actually thickness 3/4") on Y axis and Length (actually width = 5 1/2") is on X axis.  I want to rotate the board 45 degrees about its Y axis center.  In the sectional views (I tried "Cross Section/Elevation" and "Back Clipped Cross Section" the rotate edit handle does not show and the Transform dialog for rotate is greyed out.

What am I missing.  I can't believe that an object can't be rotated about any of the 3 axes.  At the moment I can only get things to rotate about the Z axis in plan view.

Regards,

WDL

CrossSection.JPG

Fixed Signature and here is Software designation:

image.thumb.png.18af70219633cc953044dc22fb8a6de1.png

Don't know how to describe what "sort" of CAD object.  It is a set of solid objects placed to form the frame of a box.  Did not use the typical wall tools but rather placed the objects using the edit handles and cut/paste.  The posts with foundation pillars were produced by a tool.

image.thumb.png.af17c6c991922ffd3f9e64dfb58eecf7.png    image.thumb.png.ad7935fefeeb9b5e85a52484144ac232.png

I attached plan file.Box Frame.plan

Gene,

OK your diagnosis was the key.  I got started in an odd way based on the following error message:

image.thumb.png.046596971ac7eec81ca59077933e46cc.png

Since I was just starting and knew I probably had to do basic solid modeling, I said yes.  The "General Framing" object produced by the system can't be rotated.  This seems more like a bug than a feature.  When I went back into my test model and did, as your test suggested I found the following to be true:

image.thumb.png.759880f0ae22f4bfaf49169968b91994.png

image.thumb.png.6fd96e8f6d62ad633cbe7673cb96dd88.png

I will submit this as odd behavior, perhaps a bug.  I consider this answered as I can see my way forward on this little model.  Bottom line is I drove my self into a cul-de-sac and did not realize it.  Thanks to Eric and Gene. 

image.png