WARNING to all Mac users

Michael_Gia

Go to solution Solved by Michael_Gia,

Don't upgrade to MacOs Ventura if you use an external monitor.

Resolution will get messed up.

spent quite some time with Apple technical support.  They are working on it.

I got a somewhat half-assed remedy by rebooting using Opt+Cmd and holding "P" & "R".  still sucks though.

Fuzzy letters and lines. Like I needed anymore problems.  I'm thinking of picking up a PC, even. Very bad.

• Upvote 1

I have been running the public beta for months...no issues.  I hope this isn't in my future.

My main display is a 34" ultra wide and to its immediate right is a 43" 4K.  I keep the M1 Max laptop closed.

Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the warning.

• scottharris changed the title to WARNING to all Mac users
  • Solution

So, it appears to be an issue if your pixel density is not 220 ppi (retina) or a multiple of this, like 110ppi. 

So a 27” monitor at 1440p has a ppi of 108, close enough to 110 will not be a problem.

Or a 5k 27” monitor at 218 ppi will also not be a problem. 

I have a 4K 27” monitor which is 163ppi, this is what’s causing the problems. 

Along with the fuzzy characters and blurry lines, the fact that my MacBook has to translate the 163 ppi to retina at 60Hz (60 times/second), I’m also seeing slower performance. 

I tried it out on 1440p 27” monitor and it works great, so I ordered a new monitor. I didn’t want to spend the money on a 5k 27” at this point in time. 

Hope this helps other Mac users out there, wandering in the desert….

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

So a 27” monitor at 1440p has a ppi of 108, close enough to 110 will not be a problem.

Hi Michael, I'm not a Mac User but I do own a number of 32" 1440p Monitors, ( LG and BenQ ) they all purport to be 109ppi

the difference being that the pixels are slightly bigger on a 32in vs 27in if you want more screen real estate , so they may work for you too?

Nope it seems they are 93ppi checking real spec sheet , not Adobe Reader....... more below

Mick.

45 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

32" 1440p Monitors, ( LG and BenQ ) they all purport to be 109ppi

I don't think so, not according to this PPI calculator:

935113551_ScreenShot2022-11-01at11_52_21AM.thumb.png.4537e892ce954d83b835918f5b0726de.png

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/technology/ppi-calculator.php

Michael's numbers all worked out close using this calculator, but yours do not.

I'm certainly no expert on this, and no offense intended, but I didn't want any Mac users to make a purchase decision if that information is not correct.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

I'm certainly no expert on this, and no offense intended, but I didn't want any Mac users to make a purchase decision if that information is not correct.

I've long used my own spreadsheet for this as its a simple calc, and I concur with you for 32" 2560x1440:

image.thumb.png.bdf20719e688350e8b3e64890bb41547.png

I used the 125% and 150% columns to check if different monitors when scaled will have similar text size to anther.  Thankfully I finally bit the bullet and bought all matching 4K monitors to end the issues of moving windows between differently scaled monitors.

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I don't think so, not according to this PPI calculator:

43 minutes ago, Smn842 said:

I've long used my own spreadsheet for this as its a simple calc, and I concur with you for 32" 2560x1440

:huh: well good thing I said purported, I had to think where I had seen that, and it seems Adobe Reader is lying to me :)  according to both your posts.... I thought it was filling in the info automatically I guess not.

image.thumb.png.8cc5758a1dfaef884cf33c5860f29596.png

better go edit that out above....

Mick.