Gradient and/or image fills for 2d plan view?

Michael_Gia

Hi, is there still no way to add gradient fills or an image to polyline fills so as to create images like this?...

I'm sure I've seen something similar on Chief promotional ads?  Or I might've been dreaming.

I've been using 3D TopViews to get something similar and then try and overlay 2d trees but it's a lot of work and not easy to get stuff to line up on a Layout page.

Site-Plan-Vectorworks.thumb.jpg.23d778fdf0e25f0b04c467928e3f9d35.jpg

Michael, not to be contradictory, but when I look closely at that image, I don't see any gradient fills, only transparent fills, perhaps with the exception of those yellow trees. That image looks like a sat photo with a transparent white fill covering it to provide white shading. The site elements can 'easily' be recreated in Chief using CAD tools and blocks. With a bit of planning and setup I think you could get very close to that result. Special consideration to the use of layers and drawing orders and CAD block names would be important.

These types of cad blocks for trees are easy to create. For an image like the one above, I don't think you'd need more than 10 different ones and some could be the same, just sized differently with different fill shades and transparencies.

image.thumb.png.fc148274b566cdb4186787344974fce4.png

20 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I don't see any gradient fills

You're right, bad example but you do know what I mean, right?

I have the same cad blocks for trees where I mimic the drop shadow effect which is ok, but I wish we had a drop-shadow build in like VW.

So, in answer to my question there is no way to get a gradient or image fill in 2D?

No work-around?

2 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

So, in answer to my question there is no way to get a gradient or image fill in 2D?

No work-around?

Not for a transparent image, but you can create a replica of gradient fill using CAD tools. This is a crude example using the same cad block, copied 4 times, and cut to different sizes with same fill overlaying each other. I used 4 so the shade variance is obvious. This could be enhanced using more than 4 and would be somewhat dependent on the type of media being presented.

image.png.327a4295110e387b5b9a6af3f940344a.pngimage.thumb.png.9c2d563228e5a6c5a6fac670c9fdd46e.png

This is one example I made awhile back for a different project. It's not as nice as your example, but this is just to show some of the principles that can be achieved with Chief.

This was made to a specific style requested by the client. I think you could get pretty close to you example, but I agree with you; gradient fill and image transparency settings would be fantastic.

The contrast shading below was done using Sketchbook to edit the image created in Chief using cad tools.

image.thumb.png.d2a1e1db051dbf63de8ad53cce54a7d8.png

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

This was made to a specific style requested by the client

That's absolutely stunning!

Well done.  That's the kind of styling I could never create, hence why I need a one-click, baked-in solution from software like Chief.  Maybe it's too much to ask?