How to cover exterior beams

winterdd

Working on something new here guys. There was a thread a while back that explained this but how do we bring down the wall material to cover porch beams? I cannot and do not want to push them "up" to hide them. Thanks

By the way I use the "floor/ceiling beam" tool to create these if that matters........

image.thumb.png.e355cdb841ae0ef3b5f4187cf2b7cf3c.png

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Working on something new here guys. There was a thread a while back that explained this but how do we bring down the wall material to cover porch beams? I cannot and do not want to push them "up" to hide them. Thanks

By the way I use the "floor/ceiling beam" tool to create these if that matters........

image.thumb.png.e355cdb841ae0ef3b5f4187cf2b7cf3c.png

Little tricky since its a drop beam and not a wall.  But you can do it many ways.  A few that come to mind:

1.) Add an opening no material section to your floor definition above that

2.)  3d Solid

3.) Drop your ceiling to be inside that space possibly adding an "opening no material" portion to the ceiling definition.

or

Alternatively why have a dropped beam for the Deck area, you have enough room in the floor structure there to have a hidden beam there that the joists can hang from.

P.S. You need a column in that corner, and its a PE's consultation but if you are able to get away with a beam that small with just 2-3 columns I would be shocked (maybe above as trusses could cantilever that.)

34 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Little tricky since its a drop beam and not a wall.  But you can do it many ways.  A few that come to mind:

1.) Add an opening no material section to your floor definition above that

2.)  3d Solid

3.) Drop your ceiling to be inside that space possibly adding an "opening no material" portion to the ceiling definition.

or

Alternatively why have a dropped beam for the Deck area, you have enough room in the floor structure there to have a hidden beam there that the joists can hang from.

P.S. You need a column in that corner, and its a PE's consultation but if you are able to get away with a beam that small with just 2-3 columns I would be shocked (maybe above as trusses could cantilever that.)

Thanks man, I will give those a try. The project is incomplete in many areas. I took the screenshot when I was thinking of the beam.

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

So what did you end up doing Rob for the original question?

Been doing a lot of pier houses as of late myself.  

Went with this method which I don't know why I didn't visualize it in the first place.

Alternatively why have a dropped beam for the Deck area, you have enough room in the floor structure there to have a hidden beam there that the joists can hang from

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

So what did you end up doing Rob for the original question?

Been doing a lot of pier houses as of late myself.  

You are close to me Michael.....everyone is wanting me to do these beach homes on the gulf coast in AL & FL.

10 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Alternatively why have a dropped beam for the Deck area, you have enough room in the floor structure there to have a hidden beam there that the joists can hang from

Oh..  I missed reading this in Ryan's comments.  I thought the same thing but didn't know if there was a reason you had to have the beams.  Some clients like that look for instance.

10 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

You are close to me Michael.....everyone is wanting me to do these beach homes on the gulf coast in AL & FL.

With Ian and Michael, yeah everything is going up on pilings that are within the eye sight of the gulf.  The two I'm working now, for here in Panacea FL., are zone "VE" EL 20.  That's a lot of stairs man. :-)

Keep up the good work dude!

11 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Watch one get hosed down to a depth of about 9 feet.  No lateral bracing needed.  

I just finished another one and the geo tech report stated 25' depth with 9" round pilings.....that is one long piece of timber.

5 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Watch one get hosed down to a depth of about 9 feet.  No lateral bracing needed.  

We do steel pilings like that up here, except they just pound them down, then cut them off.

Never seen them done by drilling the hole, putting in the wood timber and then backfilling. I mean we do fences posts like that up here and then fill the hole with concrete.

...interesting, so the lateral support is the ground then.  makes sense, surprised it is just backfill and not concrete backfill, but maybe whatever is being backfilled is easily packed.

I think this is the same way they do telephone poles up here, just backfill

• Upvote 1