What is the trick to shaping windows so one jamb is tilted off 90?

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by JacobB,

I cannot do it cleanly.  I want a window that is shaped with its left jamb leaning in 9.2 degrees.  Exactly 9.2.  I do the CAD workout to get the offset needed to be able to do the Chief dialog spec for "shape," but end up with those wild ears on the shaped side, and am unable to set the lower left corner at 0,0.

Why can't this be done cleanly?  Or can it?  Certainly there is a need for such shaped windows, the same as a need to "shape" the top to match a roof pitch.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 122644.jpg

25 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I cannot do it cleanly.  I want a window that is shaped with its left jamb leaning in 9.2 degrees.  Exactly 9.2.  I do the CAD workout to get the offset needed to be able to do the Chief dialog spec for "shape," but end up with those wild ears on the shaped side, and am unable to set the lower left corner at 0,0.

Why can't this be done cleanly?  Or can it?  Certainly there is a need for such shaped windows, the same as a need to "shape" the top to match a roof pitch.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 122644.jpg

will always be a 1/4" min I believe
but otherwise it worked fine for me...I think we are missing some info from you, maybe share a plan
image.thumb.png.5c08244340e04250a79824d4cb5d1ec7.png

• Solution

For best results, you'll need to do some trigonometry to get the angles and edges to line up. The equations you'll need is: w = h * tan(theta). In your calculations you'll also need to account for the minimum side height of 1/4".

Note: the window width control will round values to the nearest 1/16", but the shape controls won't. You can best see this by changing the number style.

image.thumb.png.1bf143be917b4e1bf58ed54cd0085262.pngimage.thumb.png.2d19e7928692b91c5d8e5ec3f8cf746d.png

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

but end up with those wild ears on the shaped side

Without a plan, I won't be able to say why the wall layers have gaps.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

am unable to set the lower left corner at 0,0

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. I could go into details, but the simple explanation is there are sections of code that don't work well when this happens (see the image below). If you really want to do it, set the window height 1/4" taller than you want it, set the shape control to the minimum of 1/4". Then use the object painter to set the height you want outside of the dialog. There are a lot of dialog restrictions that can be circumvented this way, but opening the dialog for that object and other updates can often undo it, and the dialog restrictions are generally for a good reason, even if it is just to prevent errors within a program. If you want some of these restrictions to be removed, fell free to put them on the suggestions forum.

image.thumb.png.cd5f858d633ca77515ad48aea73a95f8.png

9.2DegAngledWindow.plan

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Show me what you did, please.

See the dialog image in my previous post.

2 minutes ago, JacobB said:

Without a plan, I won't be able to say why the wall layers have gaps.

It looks like the issue was how you set up the window shape.