Reflective Windows Exterior Ray Trace

LeeDrafter

Hello,

I am working on an exterior ray trace, and I would like the windows to be slightly reflective instead of transparent. What is the right material and properties for this look? I tried to make the glass a mirror, but it turned out really dark in my ray trace. I attached a picture (not mine) that shows the look I am going for. 

I am using Chief X12. 

thank you!

Columbia Front.jpg

In the 'Define Material' box, set the glass to transparent/crown glass (in the properties tab), then darken the glass a bit in the material color section of the pattern tab (try various shades of grey). Also, be sure there are no interior lights turned on and set the interior ambient to zero.

14 minutes ago, ericepv said:

In the 'Define Material' box, set the glass to transparent/crown glass (in the properties tab), then darken the glass a bit in the material color section of the pattern tab (try various shades of grey). Also, be sure there are no interior lights turned on and set the interior ambient to zero.

Thank you, I wish there was a reflectivity setting I could adjust. I will mess around with the grey shades a bit more.

18 minutes ago, ericepv said:

You may also want to try experimenting with different settings for refraction (in the properties panel when set to 'Transparent').

Thanks, I will play with that too. Some of these words are new to me and confusing, haha. It takes a lot of trial and error.

4 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

Thanks, I will play with that too. Some of these words are new to me and confusing, haha. It takes a lot of trial and error.

Post your plan file and I'll send you back a rendered image in a few minutes.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, robdyck said:

Post your plan file and I'll send you back a rendered image in a few minutes.

Thanks, here is a plan along with the ray trace I have done. I'm pretty happy with it except for the window glass and the grass. I put window treatments in to hide the interior while still allowing some transparency.

AerieA_Rendering.jpg

AERIE.zip

Lee:

You're off to a good start, here are a few adjustments you can make:

• Experiment with different sun angles
  • Decrease the sunlight to about 15,000 Lux (if you are doing a PBR, increase the brightness)
  • In ray-trace edit, set Ambient Occlusion to .50 min - 2.5 max (as a starting point)
  • I also like to keep the ambient lighting to a minimum (it can make a scene look flat)
  • Specify your background image (Enable Env. Light)
  • Turn on Caustics (Advanced tab)

Also, for the camera:

• Increase height to 96"
  • Get rid of the camera tilt, it should be level
  • Narrow the field of view to around 40 degrees

The rest is adjusting your materials and properties (very important!).

Hope this helps- Eric

1 hour ago, ericepv said:

Lee:

You're off to a good start, here are a few adjustments you can make:

• Experiment with different sun angles
  • Decrease the sunlight to about 15,000 Lux (if you are doing a PBR, increase the brightness)
  • In ray-trace edit, set Ambient Occlusion to .50 min - 2.5 max (as a starting point)
  • I also like to keep the ambient lighting to a minimum (it can make a scene look flat)
  • Specify your background image (Enable Env. Light)
  • Turn on Caustics (Advanced tab)

Also, for the camera:

• Increase height to 96"
  • Get rid of the camera tilt, it should be level
  • Narrow the field of view to around 40 degrees

The rest is adjusting your materials and properties (very important!).

Hope this helps- Eric

thanks so much! You listed many things I have never done before, so this is a good learning experience. There is so much to know! thanks