roof trusses

danilo

When I went to the UGM in late August I discussed the trusses with the guys.  

I do not believe CA does trusses correctly......  at least the way we do it in the land of ........ 

CA believes that there is a HIP TRUSS.....  a trusses that takes the place of a HIP BEAM.

Does anybody else agree with me or do you guys do it the way CA creates hip set trusses?

If you do not agree with me,  will you please post a set of your truss calcs that detail a HIP TRUSS (takes the place of a HIP BEAM).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

I've never heard it called a beam, but i'm not a truss guy, but it is a singular member in the sample i checked, and for this case it is 2x6

image.thumb.png.3136c3b6cfead31d924a20028a8bbe21.png

image.thumb.png.b932408c720a7db6bf3c473591ddf232.png

C-1,C7, are single members

yea,  you and I are same page,   BTW,  T-1 is typicallly a double truss…….

C-1 is not a truss…..  it’s a 2X6……. Truss chords are typically 2x4’s

3 hours ago, dshall said:

BTW,  T-1 is typicallly a double truss

Keep in mind that trusses vary significantly by region, loading conditions, manufacturer methods, and customer preferences. Typical to you and your region and your experience is probably not typical to someone else's. Although, I must admit, you are in the largest market in NA, therefore your 'typical' may trump my earlier statements!

I think what Scott is talking about is what some in the truss biz call the California hip.  I've seen it in pictures, but not in the field.  In the two places I see builds, SW FL and upstate NY (two very different snow loads!), hips are done as per the arrangement in the lower half of the page, attached.  Commons, stepdowns, girder, hip trusses, monotruss jacks across end and down the hips which are trusses.

The CA way is to run a hip "joist," not a truss, but a member just like in a stickframed hipped roof, down from the girder truss and across the corner.  This is what DSH is calling the hip beam.  Note how the monotrusses have bottom chords that go under the hips and over to hang to the girder.  Those monos and jacks are not triangular-built trusses, and I've no idea how they are handled in the field.

Screenshot 2022-10-23 170546.jpg