What Do You Use When Measuring a House?

DHerb2014

Yes, some good tips I picked up from that video above is to use an electronic level to get your roof pitch.

I can use my finger to draw walls in CA on my tablet and I have a harness to be able to carry it around with me.

It would be nice if we had a rectangular mode to draw walls with in CA.

Please watch this video below from about 4 minutes in, to see what I mean.

This is Vectorworks Architect and I personally don’t have that application but I like how it draws walls in rectangular mode. This method would help greatly for doing as built surveys as well if we could have this method working in CA. Notice how it ignores any overlapping walls that are affected when drawing a rectangle in a corner or right next to other walls. Pretty neat !

We have space planner rectangles but we need to be able to control the wall thickness on as built because they will vary quite a bit.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Is there a particular Lidar app I should be looking for that will develop floorplans from the scans? Just got the new IPAD Pro and ready to try new things for my renovations.

You might want to reread this entire thread.

I think LIDAR is more practical when getting measurement data of highly detailed objects in a building - like moldings, staircase details, etc etc....not large spaces themselves.  I've used my iPad for this type of thing and the information I get is worth more than not having it sometimes on complex things i'd typically ignore due to practicality.

• 8 months later...

I typically just use pen & paper with an 11x17 clipboard. Long tape, shorter tape, & disto laser for measuring. Lots of pictures.

If the clients aren't home then I like to bring my laptop and draw in Chief as I measure.  If the clients are home they without fail want to ask questions and carry on a conversation every step of the way, so I find the only thing that works for me at that point is pen & paper, and even then it's tough to focus on what I'm doing while trying to be polite and interact with the client while measuring.

I'm always following these threads to see what methods people are using, always trying to find that holy grail for quick & accurate as-built measurements with no return trips.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2022 at 5:59 PM, richoffan said:

Agree with Scott and by extension Rene. I understand where Larry's coming from also. If the project doesn't warrant it or it's an adjacent space for context only I'm not going to waste time needlessly. If it's part of the project, especially a kitchen or millwork or some such then accuracy is critical to my designs (see pic). I've been getting highly accurate field measures long before these "tools" existed and don't feel the need to be the beta test. My laser measure is accurate to 1/16" over 20' - very good for over all room dims, ceiling heights etc. but basically worthless in a bright sun. Just don't see the value of the new toys...yet. Now, if I'm reading Ryan's post correctly, if the client's providing the field work I only care the info is usable. Standard clause when working that way:

The Client shall provide all field services required for the draftsman to perform his responsibilities including but not limited to dimensions, digital photographs, notation, and specification of existing conditions. Draftsman is entitled to rely on the accuracy and completeness of such information and is not responsible in any way for the accuracy and completeness of any reports, surveys, criteria, specification, or direction.

Wagner_0002.jpg

I have been using a leica laser with built in camera. This works great in the sun.

Other tools not mentioned, I use are a smart level to measure the roof pitch. This also allows me to place it on a wall to extend the laser out get around downspouts, meters etc.  Leica laser with built in camera for all measuring. The camera is for outside when you can't see the laser dot. A white drawing board to use as a laser target. A telescoping ladder 15.5 ft and down to 3 ft for storage.

Ladder.png

@RobUSMC Dang you! I may have to buy the ipad pro. I researched the good notes 5 software. It looks great. Never having to hunt for a legal pad or drawing sheets. Use it for call in notes, job notes and HONEY DO notes. LOL. The ability to convert handwritten notes to text that can be searched is a needed feature.

Thanks for posting. Can I send you the invoice for the ipad??????

• 1 month later...

Looks like laser devices are getting better and better.  One device called VH-80A, has auto calibration, level, angle, volume and being a Bilateral laser distance meter, you can quickly get wall to wall, and ceiling heights without bending down to the floor! Anybody try a device like this?

On 9/8/2023 at 12:30 PM, jtcapa1 said:

Looks like laser devices are getting better and better.  One device called VH-80A, has auto calibration, level, angle, volume and being a Bilateral laser distance meter, you can quickly get wall to wall, and ceiling heights without bending down to the floor! Anybody try a device like this?

I haven't but I would in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, they won't ship to Canada!  

On 9/8/2023 at 12:30 PM, jtcapa1 said:

This doesn’t even exist yet. They are looking for investors for the 80A but the 80 is out now.