Applying a new semi-transparent stain over existing materials...

Jones_Drafting

Sure this question must've come up before, but my search was not yielding results....

Specifically looking to apply a semi-transparent grey tone stain over natural cedar exterior siding....want the "orangey" wood to remain visible thru the grey stain.

Can I create (copy) the material, adjusting the transparency, and paint as a new layer without replacing the base material/color?

I could manually create a 3d polyline, using this transparent material, and lay that up, over the cedar, but that doesn't seem necessary somehow.

Haven't quite fully commmitted to X14....maybe that's been added?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jones_Drafting said:

Sure this question must've come up before, but my search was not yielding results....

Specifically looking to apply a semi-transparent grey tone stain over natural cedar exterior siding....want the "orangey" wood to remain visible thru the grey stain.

Can I create (copy) the material, adjusting the transparency, and paint as a new layer without replacing the base material/color?

I could manually create a 3d polyline, using this transparent material, and lay that up, over the cedar, but that doesn't seem necessary somehow.

Haven't quite fully commmitted to X14....maybe that's been added?

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.c5d6f14077bf38b9c93bbdef38352419.png

Maybe this will help?

Pay attention to the tool that is selected in my edit bar there and see if it helps and answers your question.  To help you understand try looking up Material Painting tools in the help file.

2 hours ago, Jones_Drafting said:

Ryan, thanks. I was looking to try to keep the underlying wood color, as well. Adding a semi-transparent layer of grey stain over that.

It works if you use the right color.  That is a mix of both colors.  I used a simple gray color over the log siding (will work the same with cedar (I have done it.)