Stream Deck XL Setup

Joe_Carrick

With this system, are your still pressing 2 or 3 buttons to go from one action to another?  For example; If I'm on the "main" screen and I want to draw an exterior wall it be one button to go to walls and then one more to select which type of wall.  Then if I want to draw a door in that wall I would have push the back button to go to the main screen, the opening button and then the type of door, so that be 3.  Do you find you are pushing a lot of buttons for one action?  Are the hot keys not faster as I don't have to go back to the main screen etc?  I would be sold if there was one big screen/device with all the commands that I need on there. 

1 minute ago, QualicoreHomes said:

With this system, are your still pressing 2 or 3 buttons to go from one action to another?  For example; If I'm on the "main" screen and I want to draw an exterior wall it be one button to go to walls and then one more to select which type of wall.  Then if I want to draw a door in that wall I would have push the back button to go to the main screen, the opening button and then the type of door, so that be 3.  Do you find you are pushing a lot of buttons for one action?  Are the hot keys not faster as I don't have to go back to the main screen etc?  I would be sold if there was one big screen/device with all the commands that I need on there. 

Your analysis of how the system works is correct.  It's both unfortunate and fortunate that there isn't a Stream Deck with hundreds of buttons.

• More buttons would make a much larger unit and it would cost proportionally more
  • The graphic buttons can process any place from 1 - 100 (or maybe more) in a single button press.
  • Chief's Hotkeys can have 1-4 keystrokes (and if using Ctrl, Shift, Alt) there are even more than 4
  • Remembering complex Hotkeys is always a problem.
  • Chief has the potential to have over 1000 Hotkeys - assuming you wanted to replace all the Toolbar icon mouse picks with Hotkey assignments.
  • The StreamDeck buttons are much easier to see and understand than Toolbar icons.  That's true even without Tooltips which can in fact be added.

In the final analysis, Even with the "Back" button it's still a lot faster.  I tend to draw all my Walls first, then Doors and Windows, etc.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 5FT-20Designs said:

Nice setup Joe.  I need to create default profile for all my programs; but it won’t be so extensive as yours.

Chief is my default now.

Create a Default Profile that includes a button to launch each of your Apps.

For Chief you can have a button that uses Hotkey "win+#" so that if you just make Chief the active App.

I have Chief as the 4th App on my Taskbar so that button is Hotkey  win+4

Although expensive, you can have multiple StreamDeck XLs and if you add another its trivial to copy the layouts across.

I bought a second as backup in case of failure as its proved so important for my work (not Chief as just a DIYer here) but I decided I may as well use it and it works well.  I've tried having one per hand, but settled on my non dominant hand having both and that works well for the various applications I use.

On 11/12/2022 at 5:38 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

i actually like the stream deck much better than finding the tools in a toolbar or dropdown, less clicks for me for sure.

Your statement just sold me on getting one of these.... :)

Now I have to decide if the brand new "Stream Deck +" will be more functional with Chief than the XL.

https://www.elgato.com/en/stream-deck-plus

2 hours ago, Charles said:

Your statement just sold me on getting one of these.... :)

Now I have to decide if the brand new "Stream Deck +" will be more functional with Chief than the XL.

https://www.elgato.com/en/stream-deck-plus

Charles,

The Plus would be great for a sound studio but the XL is the way to go for Chief.