Wall Height Control

ragetoca

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

Newbie question - working on a commercial interior space with 18'-0" high demising rated walls on each side, I want to be able to change the interior (non rated) partition wall heights to 12'-0" high (there is no ceiling, open to structure above) - When I change the room definition or structure ceiling height, the demising walls also change......Thx

Here is a room, 18' exterior walls, manual ceiling plane at 17' with an air gap material definition, interior wall with Stop at Ceiling Above checked. The ceiling you see is a manual polyline solid - I couldn't figure out any other way of putting a ceiling back in.

post-95-0-34378400-1422464881_thumb.png

• Solution

Add a second floor to the structure then you can make the ceiling system out of the 2nd floor and adjust the height of the floor/ ceiling to wherever you want. If you want no walls to show on the 2nd floor then just make them invisible. Also use open below for no floor and to adjust wall height

For the service area in a furniture store, I used half walls to place my counters.

It worked out better than using cabinets, IMO.

The "working" counters are one height the "transaction top" another.

The wall behind the counter is a half wall also.

post-82-0-01791600-1422465585_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-03186000-1422465605_thumb.jpg

You were not specific on just how you were using these walls, but you could still use half walls and insert a door...

Just select the half-wall, check "attic wall" in "General" tab, and in a cross section view click the wall and type in your height in the temporary dimension.

I think CA almost had it in this regard, but still a work around.

But now there are two choices for the approach...

post-82-0-28691300-1422479457_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. But being VERY green with this software, can someone please tell me where to go to find "making the walls invisible" and how to make it "open below". I can't even find a question I posted last night on this board. Am I crazy or is this stupidly difficult. Adjusting a wall height should be BASIC and simple.

I am having the same problem. But being VERY green with this software, can someone please tell me where to go to find "making the walls invisible" and how to make it "open below". I can't even find a question I posted last night on this board. Am I crazy or is this stupidly difficult. Adjusting a wall height should be BASIC and simple.

Simple?, CA is not quite there yet. As far as the partial height walls, build them as you would, then in a cross section view, click on the wall towards the top and type in the height in the temporary dimension. Before you do this, open preferences, and uncheck "Select Room Before Wall in 3D" in the Architectural tab, or else you will/could be changing the entire level's height.

As far as making a wall invisible, select the wall, open for specification (or just double click on it) and choose, well, you guessed it, "Invisible" in the options section.

The "Open Below" is a "Room" condition. Can be used in different situations, but is very common for stairs. To use it click in the room of your choice and select from the "Room Type" drop down, "Open Below"

What is interesting if you know the program is you do not need to adjust wall heights, it is automatic.

Believe me you are green, stick with it and you will catch on soon.

Evergreen - Thank you. By simple I meant a wall height. I don't have an Architectural Tab in preferences so I guess I should have started my question stating I have Suite 2015. I found the invisible feature, thanks, but in following what DRAWZILLA suggested, that did not work.

dshall - I think the problem is actually that it is automatic. It is changing the height of all the walls. I am green on THIS software, but hopefully I will catch on. It is only the second day using it. I actually watched a lot of the tutorials beforehand and didn't think I'd have a problem at all. Somehow I don't think it's just me that's the problem.

Chiefer - It's not. If you think adding a second floor (and somehow being expected to know that) to a plan that actually doesn't have a second floor, and having to do all of these adjustments to simply size a wall is simple then you were probably one of the ones that rated this software user friendly ;) Doing what you suggested doesn't work because it changes ALL of the walls which was the topic of this thread to begin with.

So.... I still have not been able to change the wall height. Great...