White lines on the elevation when printing - why?

PIR-Designs

Go to solution Solved by Michael_Gia,

58 minutes ago, PIR-Designs said:

Michael! YOU are a genius! THANK YOU! I did uncheck it just now and they aren't seen. 

So chances are, when I send the pdf's to someone, they won't see those lines if I've unchecked them from my end?

First of all, you can thank Chopsaw, the real genius.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PIR-Designs said:

So chances are, when I send the pdf's to someone, they won't see those lines if I've unchecked them from my end?

Unfortunately I don't think it works that way. Your clients will need to know the same trick for their PDF viewer unless by chance their preferences are set that way as well or they use a different viewer that happens to handle that problem differently.

Best thing to do is send it in to tech support.  They are the only ones that can actually "fix" the problem so it works for everyone.

5 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

First of all, you can thank Chopsaw, the real genius.

It was actually @jaaos123 that came up with that solution and fortunately I was able to look it up.

22 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Unfortunately I don't think it works that way. Your clients will need to know the same trick for their PDF viewer unless by chance their preferences are set that way as well or they use a different viewer that happens to handle that problem differently.

Best thing to do is send it in to tech support.  They are the only ones that can actually "fix" the problem so it works for everyone.

It was actually @jaaos123 that came up with that solution and fortunately I was able to look it up.

Hi Chopsaw, Well this is very strange that it all of a sudden happened. I did the update for X14 a few days ago. Before that, I could print to pdf with NO problem at all. Never saw any of that. I've used Chief for almost 4 years now. And for this to suddenly happen is the strangest thing. I've done no other updates with my computer, so it's not like it was an operating system update. I appreciate both of you trying to help me figure this out. I did research for about 2 hours trying to find the answer. So at least this helped a little bit. Maybe I could print to a pdf again from the pdf so that it doesn't happen to the person receiving it. I don't know. But thank you so much... both of you. 

4 minutes ago, PIR-Designs said:

Hi Chopsaw, Well this is very strange that it all of a sudden happened. I did the update for X14 a few days ago. Before that, I could print to pdf with NO problem at all. Never saw any of that.

It may be a new fenomena with elevations but it has been a problem with filled polylines for quite a long time.  The more people that report it the higher it gets on the priority list to be fixed.

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It may be a new fenomena with elevations but it has been a problem with filled polylines for quite a long time.  The more people that report it the higher it gets on the priority list to be fixed.

I did report it to the tech support folks. So I'm hoping they figure it out. Even though I've used/owned Chief since X11, I finally decided to take an online class from a community college up in Silicon Valley (I'm in San Diego). But I am taking it because I was self-taught on Chief. And I thought it might be a good idea to actually know how to do things correctly and learn all the icons and proper settings. These particular pdf's that I'm creating are to be turned in for a grade. So they need to be right. But, as mentioned, I've printed out pdf's in all versions of Chief that I've had... even in X14 prior to my update a few days ago. And THIS is totally new. I did have to create a "layer" setting for furniture (part of an assignment) but maybe I turned something off. But I'm not sure how that would translate to printing all wonky in a pdf. Just very strange. Anyway, if I hear back from the Tech folks, I'll certainly let you know. 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, PIR-Designs said:

even in X14 prior to my update a few days ago.

You can always roll back your update or post the plan and layout to see if someone else that has not updated can print it for you clean.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You can always roll back your update or post the plan and layout to see if someone else that has not updated can print it for you clean.

So now, when I go to other versions, it's also doing it. So I have no idea why this is happening. And I turned off the smooth art line, clicked save. Then turned it on again, and they show back up. But it can't be something in Adobe because I haven't done an update on that in a long time. This whole thing is just weird. 

3 hours ago, PIR-Designs said:

So I have no idea why this is happening. And I turned off the smooth art line, clicked save. Then turned it on again, and they show back up. But it can't be something in Adobe because I haven't done an update on that in a long time.

Yes I am pretty sure that those preference settings in Adobe are strictly viewing options.  If you have Acrobat you could try using their print driver from layout rather than chiefs but in most situations there is little to gain using an alternate print driver.

This is anti-aliasing issue of some sort... if you import PDF from chief to photoshop and don't check anti-aliasing option you won't get these lines, but all the edges are bit "rugged", but if you do check this option, you will get these white lines but smooth edges. Same it works in Acrobat, but you can eliminate these from settings.

3 hours ago, jaaos123 said:

This is anti-aliasing issue of some sort... if you import PDF from chief to photoshop and don't check anti-aliasing option you won't get these lines, but all the edges are bit "rugged", but if you do check this option, you will get these white lines but smooth edges. Same it works in Acrobat, but you can eliminate these from settings.

I'm not sure if doing that will keep it in scale. I really hope Chief can fix this. It's a very strange problem. Thank you so much for your response.