Can you draw a new plan using Interior Dimensions

ChiefUserRyan25

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Chief.  We do a fair number of basement renovations.  When we go to site to measure a space we only have the interior dimensions.  Is there a way I can draw my plans using interior dimensions rather then having to draw everything using exterior dimensions then adjusting to the space after the fact?

I am sure there must be a setting but I can't find it!

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan

Hi Ryan, what you need is a custom Default Set that has a customized Dimension Default. I have one of these for renovation projects and it's simply a matter of switching between default sets to alter the dimensioning style from exterior framing layer to interior surfaces. I would recommend that you open Help and search "Dimension Defaults".

I do  a lot of basement renos and basement suites. I just draw the exterior walls from survey(or from first taken measurements) and then draw the interior walls and then once in the general location, use the interior dimensions tool to go across the rooms. then click on walls which will highlight the dimension and plug in the number.

The interior dimension tool is your friend

Also, make sure you set up your wall defaults type to match your on site conditions. Where I am there are a lot of projects that use 5/8" drywall and thin wall plaster amounting to a "drywall" layer that is close to 3/4". If you have your wall "drywall" layer set at 1/2" it can really add up after a few rooms are placed using the surfaces setting.