Custom Newel post for deck

Argy67

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

In an attempt to simplify my decks, I blocked an Azek 4x4 post, cap and a post skirt.  I turned the block into a symbol, but didn't get the result I was looking for.  Looking for a way to be able to create a custom newel that can be selected as a newel in the dbx.  Help!!

• Solution

You've followed the correct steps, although you don't need to make a block of those items, you simply need to select all 3 and then convert to symbol (Millwork category). Of, course the cap and skirt must be set at the correct heights relative to the post before executing that function. You may need to post an image of the problem and describe what wasn't working for you.

• Like 1

What's an Azek post skirt?  Is it something continuous along the deck fascia?  Chief won't generate that with a newel.

I played with Chief symbol-making for newels and balusters, about 5 or 6 releases ago.  Maybe more.  Took a Sketchup model of a Winchester model 94 30-30 carbine, imported it in as a millwork item, and made some fancy balustrades.  Did it also with a Donald Duck model.  Blew out my poly counts, but it was cool.

58 minutes ago, solver said:

Well what result did you get? What result did you expect?

I'm all but certain that the OP simply converted to the wrong symbol type based on the last sentence in the post...

11 hours ago, Argy67 said:

Looking for a way to be able to create a custom newel that can be selected as a newel in the dbx.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Robert already pointed out the most likely culprit...

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

convert to symbol (Millwork category)