open porch issues

Thewoodmaster

Thanks in advance for the help on this.  So I'm trying to add an open porch to a house, did the basic house and then added a porch.  The house and slab are existing (photo attached).

I have several issues

• I tried to add the porch using railing tools, but the porch roof doesn't want to play nice with the existing roof, i get weird extra hips, etc. if i try to set the roof higher than the house  I don't really want to turn off auto roof, because this may not be the final design, it's just the preliminary, and i would like to know why this is happening
  • they want a different look on the roof on the porch, an exposed beam look, i cant figure out how to turn off the boxed eaves on just the porch without doing it to the whole house.
  • I drew the slabs in first, because they were existing, then turned off the floor, but i cant figure out how to get the bottom section of the wall (railing) to go away.

Untitled 7.jpg

IMG_20220916_122854_HDR.jpg

Weydert2.plan

8 minutes ago, Thewoodmaster said:

they want a different look on the roof on the porch, an exposed beam look, i cant figure out how to turn off the boxed eaves on just the porch without doing it to the whole house.

Open the outermost wall of your intended Porch and then go to its "Roof Tab" and uncheck "Eaves"

Move the slabs up until they cover the visually unwanted portions of your walls that are showing. Or delete the slabs and emulate the porch using a Roof Specification Box-Structure Tab.

Relative to your roof it is quite easy to just manually edit the roofs that it built automatically. You WILL need to learn how to manually create or edit auto roofs, believe me. Best to get started NOW.

DJP

Nice presentation and discussion, Eric.  I think the OP has a situation where the new structure is going to be built atop the asbuilt slab, and its wall lines will be inside those slab edges.  Like maybe a foot.  So he may just want to make his slab, the one Chief builds for him under his porch, invisible material, and let the asbuilt slab show.

Or put it on its own layer, and turn off the layer display.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Nice presentation and discussion, Eric.  I think the OP has a situation where the new structure is going to be built atop the asbuilt slab, and its wall lines will be inside those slab edges.  Like maybe a foot.  So he may just want to make his slab, the one Chief builds for him under his porch, invisible material, and let the asbuilt slab show.

Or put it on its own layer, and turn off the layer display.

Or open below, or remove the floor in this room option.

13 hours ago, solver said:

Thanks for all the help, this program is great, but can be infuriating sometimes.  This forum and all the people that help make it a much better experience.

15 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Open the outermost wall of your intended Porch and then go to its "Roof Tab" and uncheck "Eaves"

Move the slabs up until they cover the visually unwanted portions of your walls that are showing. Or delete the slabs and emulate the porch using a Roof Specification Box-Structure Tab.

Relative to your roof it is quite easy to just manually edit the roofs that it built automatically. You WILL need to learn how to manually create or edit auto roofs, believe me. Best to get started NOW.

DJP

Here is a screen shot of the roof tab on the outside wall of the porch, I don't see an eave tab anywhere, am I missing something?

screen1.JPG

22 minutes ago, solver said:

Shown in the video.

See the video. I grabbed the Same Wall Type Edit Handle. Drag a new wall where it's needed, including over the top of an existing wall to replace it.

You can also use the Object Eyedropper to transfer wall settings from one to another.

Suggest watching roof videos to get up to speed on manual roofs. As for your question, select a roof plane and look at the options in the Edit Toolbar.

Thanks Eric,

I've watched just about every video, many several times.  I just didn't see you click the join roof planes button, so i thought there was a hot key you were using.  I was not however aware that drawing a wall over the top of another wall replaced it.  Thanks for the tip on selecting the roof plane to get to the settings.  I notice you do a fair amount of your work in the 3d views, and there isn't much of that instruction-wise in the training videos.

Once again, I really appreciate the help.

Matt

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Because I didn't, I use a hotkey. When you mouse over the tools in a toolbar (like the Edit toolbar), you will see something like Join Roof Planes    [2]. The [2] indicates 2 is the hotkey.

I have a bunch of roof related videos on my YouTube channel. And yes, I mostly work in 3D when doing roofs, and I have a special roof layer set that I use when working in plan. For 3D work, try using Technical Illustration and turn patterns off (3D menu). Also turn off the display of ridge caps making edges easier to see and select.

Thanks Eric,

I will watch your videos on YouTube, I haven't really utilized that for instruction, but it seems like that is where I need to start going.

Matt