Can CA do a house built into a steep hillside?

ChipW-Am

I'd like to know if CA can do this (so far I've failed at getting it to work correctly) -- a very steep hillside, small lot, house that has about 3/4 of it inside the hillside (completely enveloped by the hillside as if it were a cave). When I try to do this in CA I end up with an empty space around the structure where the terrain doesn't clip it. How do I get the terrain to actually hit up against the exterior walls?

Turn off Hide Terrain Intersected by Building.

If I turn that off then the terrain flows into/through the house.

I also created a terrain hole to the exact size of the exterior walls but that doesn't help.

Attached are two images of the concept.

In the first you can see the sky between the house and the terrain. The terrain needs to completely envelope the house up to where it curves down. The hill side is much higher and steeper, I've truncated it quite a lot for the initial work. The roof style has not yet been decided, at this point is all just conceptual.

basic outline.png

basic concept.png

basic concept 2.png

The terrain hole modifies the terrain above and below, as you've noted, so it may not help with an earth home that is partially buried. AFAIK, Chief doesn't have a terrain feature that can create a horizontal recess in a terrain perimeter. Some creative possibilities may include polyline solids, molding polylines, etc.

Terrain  holes do NOT "alter the terrain" other than making a hole UNLESS they are programmed by the end user to do so. As I see it now you just need to make the hole smaller to reduce the reveal of the front of the house structure so it reveals only as much as needed to poke through the terrain.

DJP

If you want the "Terrain" to cover a part of the roof - you'll need to model the terrain as a solid and then cut a hole in that using boolean substraction.  

It won't actually be Chief's Terrain - but it will allow the hole to be like a horizontal tunnel into the hillside rather than a vertical shaft.  The other option would be to model the terrain above the residence as a solid.  

Either way, you're going to need to learn how to create and modify solids.

It would really be useful to know what version of the software you're using.