Alternating width plank siding

TonytheArcht

I've searched over all materials in the library and in bonus libraries unable to find a wall material that alternates between skinny and wide planks. The closest material I can find is the "Board and Batten" siding which has fixed skinny battens and wide boards. I know about sizing the image but what I'd really like to find is a material that I can control for both plank sizes--say, 4" & 8", or 3" & 6", or 2" & 7", etc. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks, Tony.

Alternating plank sizes

Chief Premiere X13, Dell computer, 64-bit OS, 11th Gen, Core i9, Windows Pro 11.

12 minutes ago, TonytheArcht said:

I've searched over all materials in the library and in bonus libraries unable to find a wall material that alternates between skinny and wide planks. The closest material I can find is the "Board and Batten" siding which has fixed skinny battens and wide boards. I know about sizing the image but what I'd really like to find is a material that I can control for both plank sizes--say, 4" & 8", or 3" & 6", or 2" & 7", etc. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks, Tony.

Alternating plank sizes

Chief Premiere X13, Dell computer, 64-bit OS, 11th Gen, Core i9, Windows Pro 11.

You could always place material regions over your walls in an elevation view at the designation you would like and then take a screen capture and paste back as a material

You can make a texture by using a rendered image of a modeled surface using Chief.

Here's a bit of an example: I created a model of siding boards using 3d solids and spaced them with 7" and 3" exposures. I then replicated them up the wall in 10" increments. The 3d solids were painted a material to resemble a single siding board.

I then rendered a image of the wall and cropped it so it would be seamless. I then created a new material using the cropped image as the texture file. It took about as long to create the texture as it did to type this up!

Rendered image showing my model against my default wall:

image.thumb.png.1a1ab1debf91844f466d48e2cf002969.png

Cropped image:

image.thumb.png.02c9432504384cf74ba346f1895cb713.png

Image as texture painted on the wall:

image.thumb.png.c7ccce801ffc444bffbf51cd7e3b7def.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2