Hotkey Assignments - Library Conflicts

Joe_Carrick

If a Hotkey simply starts with an alpha-numeric character it can inadvertently start searching the Library (only happens if the Library has focus).

In order to avoid this I use Ctrl+Alt+[ a ] as the 1st part of the Hotkey.  This insures that the Plan View has focus and the action takes place there.  Some of my combinations:

• Ctrl+Alt+S --- Stair Tools
  • Ctrl+Alt+C --- Cabinet Tools (conflicts with COPY/PASTE but I don't use that anyway)
  • Ctrl+Alt+D --- Door Tools
  • Ctrl+Alt+W --- Window Tools
  • Ctrl+W --- Wall Tools

You may find that some of these will conflict with Chief's Default Hotkeys - in which case you may want to use something else - or change the one that conflicts.

Generally, I only use a few standard macros ( Ctrl_C, Ctrl_V, Ctrl_X, Ctrl_P, Ctrl_S ) so I avoid creating Chief Hotkeys that conflict with those.

Note that if the Library has focus (search) then using a string of characters in a Hotkey will initiate that Library feature.  So far, I haven't found any Hotkeys that gives focus to the Library Browser. :( 

I am not normally an extensive user of Hotkeys because I simply can't remember very many and my fingers aren't nimble enough to press several keys simultaneously. 

However, I've been setting up my StreamDeck_32 so I'm having to define a lot of unique Hotkeys.  That piece of hardware provides me with a visible indication of what the command to be executed is.  With 32 buttons per page, unlimited folders and pages I'm able to take advantage of Hotkeys for thousands of things I used to have to do with the mouse and Chiefs dbx's.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Note that if the Library has focus (search) then using a string of characters in a Hotkey will initiate that Library feature.  So far, I haven't found any Hotkeys that gives focus to the Library Browser. :( 

There are a couple ways to activate the Library.  The most effective I've found though (at least for Windows machines) is the following keystroke sequence:

1. Alt (activates the file menu)
  2. Menu key (has the effect of right clicking up in the menu)
  3. Down arrow (selects the Library Browser)
  4. Enter (closes the Library Browser down)
  5. Alt (activates the file menu again)
  6. Menu key (has the effect of right clicking up in the menu again)
  7. Down arrow (selects the Library Browser again)
  8. Enter (opens the Library Browser this time)

When the Library Browser is opened using this sequence, the search bar in the Library Browser is activated.

23 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If a Hotkey simply starts with an alpha-numeric character it can inadvertently start searching the Library (only happens if the Library has focus).

In order to avoid this I use Ctrl+Alt+[ a ] as the 1st part of the Hotkey.  This insures that the Plan View has focus and the action takes place there.  Some of my combinations:

• Ctrl+Alt+S --- Stair Tools
  • Ctrl+Alt+C --- Cabinet Tools (conflicts with COPY/PASTE but I don't use that anyway)
  • Ctrl+Alt+D --- Door Tools
  • Ctrl+Alt+W --- Window Tools
  • Ctrl+W --- Wall Tools

You may find that some of these will conflict with Chief's Default Hotkeys - in which case you may want to use something else - or change the one that conflicts.

Generally, I only use a few standard macros ( Ctrl_C, Ctrl_V, Ctrl_X, Ctrl_P, Ctrl_S ) so I avoid creating Chief Hotkeys that conflict with those.

I am not normally an extensive user of Hotkeys because I simply can't remember very many and my fingers aren't nimble enough to press several keys simultaneously. 

However, I've been setting up my StreamDeck_32 so I'm having to define a lot of unique Hotkeys.  That piece of hardware provides me with a visible indication of what the command to be executed is.  With 32 buttons per page, unlimited folders and pages I'm able to take advantage of Hotkeys for thousands of things I used to have to do with the mouse and Chiefs dbx's.

I really \like my Streamdeck 32 although I'm sure it not as extensive as yours. Never liked using hotkeys

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

There are a couple ways to activate the Library.  The most effective I've found though (at least for Windows machines) is the following keystroke sequence:

1. Alt (activates the file menu)
  2. Menu key (has the effect of right clicking up in the menu)
  3. Down arrow (selects the Library Browser)
  4. Enter (closes the Library Browser down)
  5. Alt (activates the file menu again)
  6. Menu key (has the effect of right clicking up in the menu again)
  7. Down arrow (selects the Library Browser again)
  8. Enter (opens the Library Browser this time)

When the Library Browser is opened using this sequence, the search bar in the Library Browser is activated.

Hi Michael,

Aside from entering a bunch of "Backspaces" do you know of any way to "clear" the text in the search bar?

23 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Michael,

Aside from entering a bunch of "Backspaces" do you know of any way to "clear" the text in the search bar?

There are a few keystroke sequences that will do the trick but what I normally use is Control+A (Select All) followed by Delete.

• Upvote 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:48 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I really \like my Streamdeck 32 although I'm sure it not as extensive as yours. Never liked using hotkeys

My goal is to make my Streamdeck 32 be a virtual replacement for most of the Object Toolbars and a lot more.  I've got a long way to go before it's done - but I've got a pretty good start on it.

I'm also planning on using it to search the Library - at least to narrow down what I'm looking for.

28 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Why Stream Deck over an 80-key X-Keys?

StreamDeck allows you to assign a Graphic to each key along with the macro functions.

I'm setting mine up with several Application Profiles.  Within each Profile you can have multiple pages and each key can be a folder with an additional 32 key selections.

For Chief Architect Plans I will have as many as 24 folders (each will be object specific - ie: walls, doors, windows, etc) and each of those will have up to 32 distinct keys with macros.  I'm basically going to use the folders as replacements for the "Object Toolbars" to save mouse clicks and screen space.

IOW, I will have approximately 800 commands accessible at my fingertip and they will all be "Back-lit Graphic".  That's just for Chief Plans. 

I'll have an additional Page for Layout Commands

I will also have Profiles for NotePad++ and several other Apps.

So, as you can see the StreamDeck has a lot more capabilities than the X-Keys product.

11 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

So, as you can see the StreamDeck has a lot more capabilities than the X-Keys product.

They seem the same other than X-keys have more keys (which I like) and StreamDeck has nice key graphics available (which I would like). Both allow multiple uses of each key. Right?

9 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Both allow multiple uses of each key. Right?

I don't have an X-keys so I can't tell if it's comparable.  The main thing with StreamDeck is that when you select a key that's assigned as a folder you get a complete new graphic set of keys.  I also think it's easier to navigate only 32 displayed keys rather than 80.  My eyes don't have to scan as much to find the right key.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

My goal is to make my Streamdeck 32 be a virtual replacement for most of the Object Toolbars and a lot more.  I've got a long way to go before it's done - but I've got a pretty good start on it.

I'm also planning on using it to search the Library - at least to narrow down what I'm looking for.

WOW GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, mine is basic with the most used tools

18 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

WOW GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, mine is basic with the most used tools

It's actually taking me back to my time at CalComp.  We had a numeric keypad, a keyboard, tablet & a joystick, 

They functioned as follows:

• Numeric Keypad - 2 digit commands (0,0 - 9,9)
  • Keyboard - Text and Numeric Values
  • Tablet - Graphic Input (like a pencil) as well as macro selection (mapped area of tablet)
  • Joystick - Pan and Zoom

I like Chief's GUI but IMO there's just too much mouse movement outside of the drawing area.  The StreamDeck eliminates most of that and functions similar to the Numeric Keypad we had at CalComp - except that instead of being limited to 100 commands it is virtually unlimited.

• Upvote 1

Hi Charles,

As I noted previously, I am in the process of doing a complete setup of the StreamDeck XL-32 for Chief.  It's a rather time consuming process to get all the Hotkeys and Chief Buttons organized.  Once I've got it working to my satisfaction I will make it available to other users (at a cost of course).

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Charles,

As I noted previously, I am in the process of doing a complete setup of the StreamDeck XL-32 for Chief.  It's a rather time consuming process to get all the Hotkeys and Chief Buttons organized.  Once I've got it working to my satisfaction I will make it available to other users (at a cost of course).

ok I'm in!!!

i would also be interested in purchasing your hard work, if i am allowed. I have a limited amount of capabilities up and running with mine and allot of inactive icons. It is great for novice employees or kids to give them some side money because you can set them up and say start here at the top left corner and get these generic electrical plans off my plate please and these general notes and a few other things that are great. I'm with Joe that it just doesn't feel right to leave the drawing area.