STAIRS

decorators3

Hi

I am redesigning a house for a client.  Currently it is a one level bungalow with full finished basement. 40' wide by 22' deep. They want to add a 2nd story above the main level. On the main floor there are strait stairs to the basement (sort of in the center of the 40 ft width.  which he wants moved to give more floor space to main floor.  Ok that's fine.  - he wants a cape cod style look with gable over the upper windows ok that's fine, here is my issue - one request is large closed in foyer about 8 x 6 with interior door into main floor.  this reduces depth from 22 ft to 18 ft where he wants stairs as you come in going to 2nd level.  can't happen - will not leave enough walk around space on the main level.  plus, I will lose valuable floor space on the 2nd level where he wants me to incorporate 4 bedroom and 2 bathrooms

see the attached glass house view and let me know if these are the best style stairs to give me as much living space to work with as possible

thanks 

Levina

glass house view of stairs.jpg

thanks, I'm hoping this will give me the much-needed space for the upper level.  maybe will have to remodel the basement stairs to an L-shaped to accommodate certain built ins but for now I'm good with the placement of the straight stairs to the send level and the exterior style of the Cape Cod look still shows

Again Thanks

Stairs to a basement often take more space on the main level.  If the stair is on an outside wall, the basement wall might be an 8" concrete stem wall.  It might also have a 2x4 framed wall for the insulation.  In these types of situations, it is best to account for the impact of the offset right from the beginning.  Don't get to happy with a stair placement that fits into the main level outside wall without making it wide enough to also work in the basement.