Fence or Railing Panels

CCarpenter

There are 2 types of fence:

- one is a simple hog wire (4x4) metal wire fence between 6x6 posts. I need a 6' H & a 4' H version

- the other is a cedar fence with horizontal boards of 2 different sizes spaced apart. In places this will need to sit on top of a conc wall and I read in the forum the best way to do that is to use a pony wall with fence / railing above and a terrain break

I've attached images of both.

I downloaded the Chief Bonus catalog for Materials Wire & Lattice and modified the Welded Wire to have a 4" x 4" version but when I try to change my railing panels to it by going into the specification dialog it doesn't recognize the wires as an panel option.

And for the cedar fence I'm not really sure how to approach it. There is a Horizontal Stacked Panel - thin, in the Ext Fence Panels No 2 library but I don't know how to  modify it. If I made a custom panel (out of 3D lines) with posts at each end I don't see that I'm able to group it together and save it as a library piece and then distribute?

Anyway, HELP! I know there's got to be an easier way

cedar fence.png

hog wire fence.jpg

It's pretty easy to make your own panel symbols.  The slats are super easy and the wire is only slightly harder.  You just need to make sure that you turn them into millwork symbols and it helps to mark them as fence panels so that you can just drop them on your fence.  Take a look at the fence panels that are already in the libraries to see how they are built.

There is also a tech article about making custom panels:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02893/creating-custom-balusters-and-railing-panels.html